Making Your Own Colored Elastic

When I sew or do crafts, I sometimes need elastic that matches my project. The less expensive discount elastic only comes in white, so I bought a pack of multi-colored permanent marking pens which I keep with my sewing supplies. It's amazing how well these work to "dye" the elastic. Simply stretch the elastic as far as you can (it's better if someone else does this for you) then color the stretched elastic with your felt-tipped permanent marker on the front and back. You can even make colorful stripes, plaids and polka-dots which are great for kids hair scrunchies and headbands. Next time you need a piece of red, navy or purple elastic, remember this handy trick!

By Cyinda from Seattle

Making Your Own Colored Elastic

I make patterns on linen for rug hooking. I learned the hard way that all markers are not truly permanent, especially red. Even name brand markers like Sharpie. Sadly, when you add water to them, they can run. Maybe you haven't had this happen to you, but I have. Just thought I would toss out a warning to you. I only use the black Rub a Dub by Sharpie now. This doesn't help you with colors though. (03/27/2008)

By themuffster

Making Your Own Colored Elastic
Cat playing With Elastic Cat Toy
Dangers of Elastic Cat Toys
Repairing the Elastic on Fitted Sheets
Elastic for Clothing
Saving Money on Elastic for Clothing
girl in a summer dress
Repairing Elastic Smocking on a Dress