Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making Your Own Curtain Rods

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Curtain Rod

Curtain rods can be expensive and sometimes it is difficult to find just what you need. This is a guide about making your own curtain rods.

Solutions: Making Your Own Curtain Rods

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Make Your Own Custom Curtain Rods

I was searching everywhere for short (15 inch) curtain rods to use on either side of a large window (instead of having a large rod that would remain bare in the middle). I had seen them in model homes and on TV decorating shows, but they just don't seem to exist! I went to my local home improvement store, took a 1 1/4 inch dowel, cut it down myself (at the store) into my 2 rods (plus, I got a great rolling pin from the remainder piece!). I then ventured off to JC Penney to look for finials, as there were no brushed silver ones at the home store. I found 2 packages of 2 on clearance for 5.24 each package, marked down from 28.00 each, and also purchased some brackets to fit the dowels. Make sure the brackets stick out into the room enough to accommodate the finial, mine are large and chunky.

Once home, I drilled holes for the finials and installed everything. My cost for the 2 poles was about $16.00 including the brackets. Custom made ones at my local home decorating store start at 50.00 each!

Source: My own invention!

By Ginnywest from South Carolina

Tip: Thrifty Curtain Rods - Electrical Conduit

Using electrical conduit to hang your curtains is super inexpensive and it has that industrial look. It can be purchased at your home improvement store in 10 foot lengths for a little more than a dollar for the entire piece. You can easily cut to fit with a simple pipe cutter or hacksaw. Remember to file down ends. Then use larger screw eyes or hooks mounted into the wall or window frame to slide the conduit through. Lastly, I purchase inexpensive rubber furniture feet for outdoor patio furniture; these I put on the ends of conduit to prevent it from sliding out of the wall hooks. :)

By Pam Irie

Tip: Copper Pipe Curtain Rods

I have gotten so many compliments on my cheap copper pipe curtain rods and curtains so I wanted to pass this idea on. One of our windows in our home is over 7 feet long. We could not afford a curtain rod or curtains, so I chose a copper pipe (about $3.35) cut to length with gold brackets, two nicely finished table cloths ($7.99) as curtains (on sale of course) hung by metal circles with clips ($13.99) which can be purchased at any of the "mart" stores and small floral arrangements ($1.00 rummage sale finds) taped into the pipe's ends as the finials.

I also used this same idea with our sliding glass door but found an old, lovely cloth shower curtain. This is a different, outstanding, and unique look that can be made to fit any decor. Enjoy! I never thought this cheap could look this good.

Karaof4

Editor's Note: These prices are from 2004, when the tip was originally posted. The price of copper has steadily increased in the intervening years and would be more expensive today.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Making Your Own Curtain Rods.

Question: Best Material for Making a Curtain Rod

I has an extra wide sliding glass door for which I'm wanting to make a curtain rod to hang sheers or light weight grommet type curtains. I don't want a traverse rod. The width of the window is 144 inches plus 8 inches (4 on each side). The curtains will be drawn from the middle; therefore I will only be able to use supports on each end and one in the middle. My question is: What would hold up (PVC pipe, electrical conduit, etc.) and not bow considering I'll be installing only 3 brackets? Have you made a wide curtain rod with these or any other type materials?

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

Most Recent Answer

By dianetolbert09/25/2013

Rebar...cheap, won't bend and as long as you like.