Making Your Own Curtain Rods

Curtain rods can be expensive and sometimes it is difficult to find just what you need. This is a guide about making your own curtain rods.

March 2, 2010 Flag

I was searching everywhere for short (15 inch) curtain rods to use on either side of a large window (instead of having a large rod that would remain bare in the middle). I had seen them in model homes and on TV decorating shows, but they just don't seem to exist! I went to my local home improvement store, took a 1 1/4 inch dowel, cut it down myself (at the store) into my 2 rods (plus, I got a great rolling pin from the remainder piece!). I then ventured off to JC Penney to look for finials, as there were no brushed silver ones at the home store. I found 2 packages of 2 on clearance for 5.24 each package, marked down from 28.00 each, and also purchased some brackets to fit the dowels. Make sure the brackets stick out into the room enough to accommodate the finial, mine are large and chunky.

Once home, I drilled holes for the finials and installed everything. My cost for the 2 poles was about $16.00 including the brackets. Custom made ones at my local home decorating store start at 50.00 each!

Source: My own invention!

By Ginnywest from South Carolina

You are a super duper thrifty fun person! Great job on saving all that money!

Girl, this is awesome! I have never even seen these before but can imagine how cool they are. I am "on" this one! Thanks so much! I can't wait to have a cool curtain setup unlike anyone I know. Laurie

Girl, this is awesome! I have never even seen these before but can imagine how cool they are. I am "on" this one! Thanks so much! I can't wait to have a cool curtain setup unlike anyone I know.

Laurie

December 28, 2004 Flag

We could not afford a curtain rod or curtains, so I chose a copper pipe cut to length with gold brackets, two nicely finished table cloths as curtains hung by metal circles with clips and small floral arrangements taped into the pipe's ends as the finials.

February 21, 2005 Flag

Using electrical conduit to hang your curtains is super inexpensive and it has that industrial look. It can be purchased at your home improvement store in 10 foot lengths for a little more than a dollar for the entire piece.

September 24, 2013 Flag

I has an extra wide sliding glass door for which I'm wanting to make a curtain rod to hang sheers or light weight grommet type curtains. I don't want a traverse rod. The width of the window is 144 inches plus 8 inches (4 on each side). The curtains will be drawn from the middle; therefore I will only be able to use supports on each end and one in the middle. My question is: What would hold up (PVC pipe, electrical conduit, etc.) and not bow considering I'll be installing only 3 brackets? Have you made a wide curtain rod with these or any other type materials?

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can make it with PVC for looks, then put a smaller wooden dowel inside. You just have to make sure they aren't exactly the same width and you are good to go.

Rebar...cheap, won't bend and as long as you like.

Home and Garden Home Improvement WindowsFebruary 27, 2013
Shower Curtain Rod
Uses for Shower Curtain Rods
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
CD Curtain
Making a CD Curtain
Arched Window
Making a Curtain for an Arched Window
🎄