Making Your Own Envelopes

Category Reusing
The envelope you use to mail a letter or card can be just as creative and fun as what you put in the envelope. This is a guide about making your own envelopes.

After you've made your homemade cards and matching envelopes, here's an easy to make glue.

Materials needed:

Instructions:

Start by bringing the vinegar to a boil in a pan. Add the gelatin and stir until it dissolves. Add the extract and stir until well mixed. While still warm brush a thin layer onto your homemade envelope flap and set aside and allow to dry.

To adhere the envelope, moisten as you would any envelope and press closed. Store unused mixture in an airtight container. To re-apply, warm the mixture in a pan and apply as before.

By keeper from Blue Ridge Mountains, NC

Thumbs Up Blue Ridge Mountain Keeper. I love making cards, but hate having to add Elmer's Glue to them at the last minute when I'm ready to use them. I've never found a Glue Stick that actually works, and keeps working.

Thanks for sharing this great recipe. I had a copy once before, and lost track of it. I'm so happy to have it again. It works so well.

Pookarina

For my Dad's 80th birthday party, I printed the invitations on card stock, folded in thirds, stamped 2 holes with a regular hole punch close to the edges, and ran 1/4 inch organza ribbon tied in a knot (knot came out to the front) through it. I got a lot of comments on my unique invitations and I saved money on envelopes. (The ribbon was very cheap, cheaper than envelopes).

This also works for mailing a plain letter when you don't have an envelope, I just did it here at work where I needed an envelope, but had the stamp (my own) already. Take a piece of copy paper, fold in thirds (shorter side), tape the ends and back shut with tape, address, stamp, and mail.

By thriftyvicki from Dallas, TX

Anonymous

Katie, I have a cousin who works for the USPS (for two decades now) and has run those machines you're talking about so I asked her if the ribbons alone could be a problem and she laughed. Any number of things could cause a very occasional problem including improper feeding of the machine, a bulky amount of folded paper within an envelope or even a non sealed envelope and there is no such thing as a surcharge for a damaged letter, post card, flyer, package or otherwise.

If you are a card maker, you can save money on envelopes. Grab a roll of wax paper and make your own. You will need an envelope template or just cut it out free-handed.

You can put glitter, stickers, dried flowers, or anything you like between the sheets of waxed paper. Just be careful when you melt the sheets together. You could heat the paper with a high powered hair dryer, embossing gun, or your iron. They make beautiful and cheap envelopes.

By Tricia from Ridgeway, VA

These sound very nice, but will the post office accept these? I would hate to see them get torn up by a cancelling machine and, if they have to be hand-cancelled, you will have to pay additional postage because it's not a "standard" envelope.

Envelopes and paper.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 6

Envelopes made from white paper bags and post cards made from file folders.

Mara Rivet1 found this helpful

Recycled envelops and note cards.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

We will be creating a tri-fold style closed envelope, which is much simpler than the triangular style closure seen on many postal envelopes.

Envelopes From Recycled Paper

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

Whether I'm at work or at home, I try to limit the amount of paper I use by utilizing electronic media as much as possible. The problem is, I'm a stationary junkie.

DIY Envelope

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a DIY envelope. It's easy to use a piece of paper to make an envelope in a pinch.

Recycled Paper Envelope Top Fold

Here are a series of pictures that show you how to turn a regular piece of paper into a usable envelope. You will need to have some kind of glue or tape to put it together. I like to use glue sticks.

Christine Weber1 found this helpful

Envelop with gold snowflakes.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

Why let the card have all the glory? Using stamps and embossing powder to create elegant winter images, this craft makes the envelope enchanting too!

I have a bunch of nice greeting cards without envelopes. Does anyone know of easy way to make envelopes? The cards are all different sizes, so buying them is not an option. I hate to let them go to waste.

By Erika from Tallahassee, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You used to be able to purchase a package of multi - colored and sized envelopes from the Current Company - a mail order (and now online) store.

When I receive birthday cards etc. that the envelope has not been written on, I save them for just this occasion. If I do not mail cards to someone, I don't write on the envelope either - and if I know the person well enough, I ask them to return them to me - if they won't recycle them themselves. (This has many times prompted these people to save all of their "Clean" envelopes for me!)

The third way I use these cards is when I give gifts to Christmas Angel Banks, I attach the card to the gift without an envelope. It is prettier than using a stick on Christmas tag.

I also recycle Christmas cards by cutting out the pretty pictures and the nicer verses with fancy scissors and leave a space to write my "To: and From:" - or I write that part on the flip side.

Merry Christmas to All!

You can lay the card on a sheet of paper - any typing or copier paper will do. Cardstock will work too, but is a bit costlier. Put the card at a diaganol in the center of the sheet - trace around lightly then fold at the drawn lines. Bigger cards require bigger sized sheets.

You can also just put the card on a sheet of paper and fold it up and around as needed.

There are lots of 'tutorials' on the internet. Just Google hand made envelopes. Good luck.

Anonymous

Here is a step by step photo tutorial:

http://www.wiki  ng-Card-Envelope

Another thing I've done before (if there is no printing on the back of the front of the card) is carefully tear or cut the front of the card from the back and use the front as a postcard. Not only does it save an envelope but postcard postage is also less expensive ;-)

Take apart one envelope to make a template for others, orfold a white piece of paper around the card, allowing room for a fold-over top. Fold sides around the card. Remove the card and fold the side folds to the inside of the envelope, trim and glue.