Making Your Own Tofu

Does anyone have a recipe for making tofu like that commercially made from basic, raw ingredients and not from processed, instant powdered stuff which doesn't taste quite like the real thing.

YT in London

Making Your Own Tofu

Get the Hippie Handbook, ISBN 0-8118-4320-3. It's a fun book that discusses growing Tempeh (a type of tofu) in your bathtub (though you could/should use another container!), as well as other helpful information. (03/07/2005)

By Mary

Making Your Own Tofu

Tofu is one of those cases where the homemade is not only cheaper -- it's also tastier than storebought.

Homemade Tofu

First: soak 1 cup of dry soy beans in 3 to 4 cups water overnight or until soybeans double in size. Drain water. Put 1 cup soaked soybeans into blender. Add 2 to 3 cups water and blend until of mushy consistency. Empty into a large pot. Continue blending soybeans with water until all have been chopped.

Place pot on medium heat and bring to almost a boil. When the mixture starts to boil, turn heat down to low and set timer for 30 minutes.

With a clean cloth (or cheesecloth) draped over a colander, pour cooked soy mixture in a cup at a time. The while liquid is soy milk. The mashed, cooked soy beans is okara.

Take the white liquid (soy milk) and place back on heat and pour 1/4 cup lemon juice and stir. When this mixture begins to coagulate, you have what is called "tofu" or curds and whey. The curds are tofu and the whey is the liquid.

Press liquid out and this is tofu. Soy milk can be used in any recipe that calls for milk. Soy milk will keep almost a week in the refrigerator.

The okara is fiber. You can spread this out on a cookie sheet and dry in the oven on very low temperatures. Then you can add to gravies, etc, you can think of to hide it in. (03/08/2005)

By Joyce

Making Your Own Tofu

I tried your recipe and it's fantastic. I have referred a few other friends to your link too. much nicer then store bought. and I added a couple of herbs and things like sweet chili sauce to the tofu moulds for simple treats for myself. great for a snack dip with thanks heaps

Crystal.(quote)(/quote) (04/11/2005)

By Crystal Wicca

Making Your Own Tofu

I tried your recipe but i am having trouble with it after the coagulating. It starts to separate but then what do I do? Do I leave it on the heat to go further? Do I strain it? I tried to press it out but it's not firm enough and pushes through the cloth. please help?

Thanks lea.

By Cookie

Making Your Own Tofu

You can also use Epsom salts as the coagulant. Or powdered food-grade gypsum. Sorry, I don't know the quantity off-hand. (04/25/2008)

By Nance

saving money on tofu
Saving Money on Tofu
raw tofu
Preparing Chewy Tofu
Tofu on Plate with White Background
Homemade Tofu Recipes
Tofu in a bowl.
Substitution for Tofu
Spicey Chinese dish made with tofu, minced pork, and spicy sauce.
Recipes Using Tofu