Browsing: Making Your Own Wood Pellets

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making Your Own Wood Pellets

With a pellet mill you may be able to make your own stove pellets. This guide is about making your own wood pellets.

Wood Pellets
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 16, 2014 Flag

How much does a wood pellet mill cost?

By Mike

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can find the information you need online. There are many types of pellet mills and the cost varies. One site had prices for a small mill starting over $1800.

It's as per what production capacity you want, if you want a small one, it will not cost so much, here is one of the suppliers,you can consult them. http://victormachinez.com/

June 29, 2015 Flag

I am looking at picking up a small pellet mill and have access to free softwood dry sawdust, eastern white pine. I have several questions. Has anyone done this? Other then the sawdust, what else do I need? I keep reading other people's posts about using a binder.

I have one pelpro that works really well, and I'm thinking of adding a second one in an addition I am putting on. Thanks.

Plenty of info in youtube

July 9, 2007 Flag

Is there a cheap way of grinding up old boards so they will fit in a pellet stove to burn?

Tracy from ME

Would a wood chipper work?

Not something I would even consider doing as your pellet burning stove is created and designed to burn commercially prepared pellets and the money you think you are saving on pellets will mean nothing if you have a house fire or wreck your stove.

It wouldn't be worth the trouble--I think pellets are smoother and denser, and the board bits would probably burn up too quickly to be very efficient besides jamming the auger. Pea coal doesn't work either, totally rusts out pellet/corn stoves.

Yeah, this isnt a way to save $. Would probably just burn up your house/stove.

Sometimes you can get discounts if you buy a whole pallet of the pellets.

December 16, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know how to make handmade pellets? Not exactly like what a pellet machine can do, but something similar that I don't have to use a machine? I have tons of leaves and no money to buy a pellet machine at the cost of over $4,000. Any homemade suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It doesn't have to be perfect, just has to work. Please advise.

By Loleini

Grass and leaves can be pressed with a simple lever and plunger setup with a pipe or bucket to form.They will need to dry after pressed because some moisture is needed to make the briquettes stay together.Used cooking oil makes a good binder but with enough heat [generated by pressure] the plant material releases a natural binder. These materials produce more ash than hardwood but the ash is potash and can be added to compost pile for fertilizer.

I am building a wood gasifier now to produce electricity for house and greenhouse and will use the heat bi-product to heat greenhouse and home. The 'smoke' generated by burning the biomass in low oxygen is mainly h and co which is used as fuel for the generator engine, the exhaust from the engine being mainly co2 can be fed into greenhouse or back into pyrolysis zone where it is stripped of one o molecule and turned into co, then fed back into gas stream to run engine. It is all really much easier than it sounds.

I found a great link. 3 videos 1st one should be just what you are looking for. Hope it helps, I will build the double lever soon.

http://wn.com/Small_Micro_Biomass_Fuel_Briquette_Presses_made_from_Wood

December 17, 2008 Flag

What is the psi required to compress dry sawdust into pellets for my stove? Also, to what temperature should the sawdust be heated?

Rufas from Saskatchewan, Canada

Don't know info requested but don't use wood that has been treated with the sealant etc.

Please use small flat die mill to make sawdust pellets.

October 31, 2011 Flag

How do you make pellets out of shredded paper for a pellet stove? We have a new Englander pellet stove and just purchased a Stak pellet mill and are trying to make pellets from shredded paper. When we put paper into the hopper it shreds the paper to dust. Please help. We are not sure what we're doing wrong.

By Shanna

Here's a link to a site that has instructions for making pellets out of paper. One of the things it says is to not use an office paper shredder because the paper pieces will not be small enough. Maybe a cross-cut shredder will work. http://www.ehow.com/how_6739797_make-pellet-fuel-out-paper.html

January 29, 2009 Flag

I want to know if there is a way to make wood pellets out of scrap wood from my wood shop.

William

It is possible. Read here http://www.bestpelletmachine.com/ma ... s/Waste-Wood-Pieces-Pellet-Line.html

December 16, 2010 Flag

I was wondering if anyone knew if you could make homemade pellets out of newspaper that you could use in a wood pellet stove.

January 29, 2009 Flag

I am in the construction industry, the sites I work on have a lot of scrap lumber. Can I take the 1x6, 2x4 and bigger scraps and convert them to wood pellets? I am not talking about plywood as the glue is toxic, just your kiln dried lumber for walls and such.

James from Canada

Answers:

Making Wood Pellets From Scrap Lumber

Is the wood treated wood? If it is, you can't for sure. (04/16/2008)

By mom-from-missouri

Making Wood Pellets From Scrap Lumber

visit www.makeyourownpellets.com There's lot's of info. (08/23/2008)

By MakeYourOwnPellets

Make Your Own MiscellaneousJanuary 5, 2013
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Wood Burning Stove
Heating with Wood
Woman Wiping Down Wood Cabinet With Yellow Cloth
Homemade Wood Cleaners
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 28, 2016 at 1:04:00 AM on 10.0.2.157 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.