Making a Bed Skirt for a King Sized Bed

Category How To
King Size Bed with Dust Ruffle
When you just can't find just the right bedskirt for your bed an option is to make one yourself. This is a guide about making a bed skirt for a king sized bed.

I was wondering if anyone had an idea on how to make a bedskirt for a king size bed.

By Cindy from New Creek, WV

When I made one years ago I used a single sheet cut to size then sewed on a gathered skirt around the edge, of fabric I purchased, which measured twice the perimeter of the bed and the width, of course, was from just above the base height and to the the floor. But you could just make a wide - very gathered ruffle of fabric, that has elastic along both sides, which would hold it in place, but you would need to make it perhaps two and a half times the perimeter for a good ruffled effect.

How would one go about making a bed ruffle for a king sized bed? I know to make a king size duvet, you would use 2 king sized sheets. What exactly are the measurements for a bed ruffle and duvet?

Marine WM from NY

Answers:

King Size Bed Ruffles

I've never made one, although I need to, but I know that for curtains it's twice the length to get the ruffles. So I presume it would be (length around bed x2 plus 1 inch for seam allowance) by (height of boxspring to floor plus 1 inch for seam allowance). I'm not sure how you would attach it, but I was planning on attaching a piece of flat fabric that I was going to tuck under the mattress. I suppose you could use elastic, but somehow that seems like too much work for me. (02/10/2005)

By Kathy K.

King Size Bed Ruffles

Twice the length makes rather "flat" ruffles. For a really full look, you need at least 2.5 or 3 times the length.

I agree about the flat fabric, like a drapery liner. (05/25/2005)

By Laura M

King Size Bed Ruffles

I actually made a bed ruffle for my queen bed, and except for the bulky size of a king and trying to get the mattress off to fit everything, it would work the same way. I first took the top queen mattress off my box spring, then I took a queen fitted sheet, put that on the box spring, marked with a marker where I wanted the top of my ruffle to go (as well as measured how long I wanted the ruffle to be).

Then I measured how long (x 2) and how wide the bed was. I multiplied that number by 3, since I wanted my ruffle to be "ruffly".

After sewing the ruffle, I knew where to sew it on the fitted sheet because I marked it. I then proceeded to sew it on the fitted sheet. I had my bed ruffle, with the fabric and design I chose. It was a little bit of work, and it may not have been that much cheaper than purchasing one, but I got to match it up to my curtains and quilt. (04/26/2007)

By Sandra