Making a Bee Trap

Category Bees & Wasps
Bees are very important for plant pollination in our environment, but there are times when someone needs to be protected from a possible sting. This guide is about making a bee trap.

I saw this tip in "Country" magazine years ago and use it every year to trap yellow jackets and hornets. I have this one hanging in the grapevine. The yellow jackets like the apple juice better than the grapes. Lures them right in and they can't get out.

Take a gallon milk jug and cut an upside down V shape in the side 2/3 way up on the jug. Press the tab in. Pour fruit juice ( I use apple) 1 inch deep into the jug. Put the cap back on the jug and hang. Insects enter through the hole and can't get out.

By Betty from North Carolina

Pinesol and water 1/2 and 1/2 in spray bottle for flies. Spray where you do not want flies.

Punch a hole in a jar lid about as wide as your pinky finger. You want the bee to be able to get in but not crawl out as easy. Fill the jar half full of orange juice. Smear some jam under the lid.

Seal jar with lid and put it in the yard where there is little traffic. They will crawl in and drowned. This will also work for fruit flies.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Editor's Note: As many of the ThriftyFun community have pointed out, bees are essential for pollinating home and commercial gardens and should not be killed unless absolutely necessary.

I'm sure that this is a good hint for someone who is allergic to bees, who is sitting outdoors. But perhaps one could lure the bees away, rather than kill them, by placing ripe fruit some distance from where one is sitting, where they could munch away, without drowning. I agree with the need for bees crowd. Try to avoid, not kill, the bees. Let them do their work.

This past summer our humming bird feeder was attracting more bees than birds. My husband cut the top off a regular sized soda bottle. He threaded a string through the bottom and bent inside a lip from the top of the bottle. It hung upside down from the string.

He put it on the same rod that holds our humming bird feeder and it attracted a lot of bees. Once the bees found their way in they couldn't get out. Turned out really good for the birds since they got to use the feeder, and the bees ended up in the trap.

Source: My husband

By gem from VA

I've had trouble with bees at hummingbirds feeders also. But since we are so short of pollinators (not just honeybees are pollinators!) I was happy to find a feeder at Wild Birds Unlimited that if you can only fill 2/3rds full, the bees cannot reach the sugar water and your problem will be eliminated! The feeder also comes with a lifetime warranty (although I've never had to test this!) Anne

Does anyone know how to make a bee and wasp catcher homemade? I'm looking for one to work like those in the catalogs which have a hole the bees go in and some sugar water and they can't get back out.

I took a 2 litre soda bottle and i poked a few holes in the top, small ones so that they have sharp edges on the inside, about the size of a pea. I left some of the soda in it, and by the end of the day there were a dozen wasps trapped in there.

Another trick with the 2 liter bottle is to cut the spout end of the bottle of about 2 -3 inches down and invert it into the remainder of the bottle. The spout will be pointing down into the bottle. Before you put the inverted spout into the bottle put 1/4 cup water mixed with 1 teaspoon of dish soap in the bottom of the bottle. The soap is what keeps them from flying back out because it sticks to their wings and they can't fly. Then put the inverted spout into the bottle and pour in about another cup of juice, soda or sugar water. Be sure and pour the sugary stuff in thru the spout so that the outside is coated with the sweet stuff they like. This will attract a ton of wasps. When there are a good amount in there dump it out and start over.

Hi i live out in the Country and what i do is take a Jelly Jar that has some jelly left in it add some water poke small holes in the lid just big enough for them to get in and when they have had there fill they cannot get out and you can set them anyplace or hang them in trees and when done cover the jars and dispose safely it works for me good luck

For the bee traps you take water bottles and put corn syrup in the bottom of them with a little bit of soda mixed in and hang them to your trees around your yard but away from child play areas it really works the soda attracts the bees and the syrup gets them stuck in the bottle

Why not just catch them with your bare hands? Wasp and yellow-jacket stings are an excellent homeopathic remedy for arthritis -- and will lower your cholesterol too (from all the running you'll do when you mess with their nests).

There is a world wide decline in bees. IF this continues agricultural production will decline to catastrophic amounts unable to sustain human population. In other words if you kill bees humans will die, perish, become extinct, be destroyed. Do you understand this? If you don't like bees try using mosquito repellent on your body. Do not wipe out plants because you don't like insects. Please tell this to a friend and maybe we can save the agricultural crops and more importantly plants nearing extinction whose only hope for survival is from bee pollination.

You can put about 6-8 shiny pennies in a clear ziplock bag, fill about 2/3 with water and hang it at door or window openings; wasps, bees, flys, etc. will NOT come near.

http://www.thri  7766651.tip.html

RE: Homemade Wasp and Bee Trap

By dear john (1) Profile Contact

There is a world wide decline in bees. If this continues agricultural production will decline to catastrophic amounts unable to sustain human population. In other words if you kill bees, humans will die, perish, become extinct, be destroyed. Do you understand this? If you don't like bees try using mosquito repellent on your body. Do not wipe out plants because you don't like insects. Please tell this to a friend and maybe we can save the agricultural crops and more importantly plants nearing extinction whose only hope for survival is from bee pollination.

Hi Dear John, I understand there is a decline in bees however my children and I are deathly allergic to bee and wasp stings so I can care less about killing them, survival of the fittest, lol. I am bigger and come equipped with raid! these ideas for traps are great! It's horrible that we can not enjoy the sunshine in our back yard when there are bees and wasps everywhere! We limit our outside time to evenings to avoid them and that's no fun at all. I will definitely try out some of these ideas and hopefully we can enjoy our yard again!

What can I use to get rid of jellow jackets? Is there any one thing that would attract them so that they would go in a trap for yellow jackets? We bought 4 of the traps and put the liquid in but now that has lost its power.
Sincerely,

Patricia

There are several inexpensive non-toxic bait traps available for yellow jacket control, including the Wasp Trap, the Oak Stump Farm "Yellow Jacket" Wasp Trap and the Yellow Jacket Inn. Visit your nearby garden center or check out a gardening mail order catalog to investigate the availability of these traps.

Traps should be placed around the perimeter of human recreational areas well in advance of outdoor activities. Traps may be placed along side dumpsters or restaurant loading docks. Most trap directions call for a reservoir to be filled with an attractant such as sugar water. Exhausted yellow jackets fall into the liquid and drown.

Traps should be serviced daily to remove dead insects because the odor can become very offensive. Wash the trap with soap and water after several days use. Monitor the traps, attractiveness to beneficial insects such as honey bees and alter the bait if necessary. Raw bologna has proven to be a very successful yellow jacket bait and it does not attract beneficial insects.

Homemade Traps: A crude yellow jacket trap is made by hanging a raw fish or piece of liver (slightly diced on the exterior) by string about 1 to 2 inches above a container of detergent and water. The detergent will act as a wetting agent and eliminate surface tension which will improve trap efficiency. Foraging yellow jackets are attracted to the raw meat and will often become overloaded with food and fall into the water and drown. This method of yellow jacket control is not as efficient as nest elimination but it may help reduce the population to acceptable levels.

"Bee Lining" for Fish Bait: Bee lining is a method by which a person may locate a yellow jacket nest by observing foragers as they return to their colony with food. A freshly caught small fish should be diced slightly on the exterior with a knife and hung in a tree about 5 to 6 feet off the ground. Foraging yellow jackets will be attracted to the raw fish and will chew off a tiny particle of the meat. By close observation, a person can follow the flight line of the yellow jacket back to her nest. The foraging yellow jacket will normally make a "bee line" straight to the nest which is often no more than 1,000 yards from the food source. Fishermen have been known to use this procedure to discover yellow jacket nests and use the grub as excellent fish bait.

http://hgic.cle  ets/HGIC2510.htm

They also have information about nests in the link above.

If you have one of those traps where they fly in and can't get out,fill it about half full with orange pop and you'll be amazed at how many go in there.

I have the perfect, cheap, easy idea which I discovered quite by accident. I noticed that my hummingbirds stopped coming to the feeder which I fill with 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. When I dumped out the water, there were so many yellow jackets in it that I was absolutely amazed. Now I need a different feeder for my hummers but I know how to lure yellow jackets!