Making a Cake With a Jam Filling

Category Filling
Chocolate Cake With a Jam Filling
Instead of using frosting between the layers of your next cake consider a fruity jam layer. This is a guide about making a cake with a jam filling.

I found a yummy cake recipe that uses jam as a filling between layers. It comes from an old cookbook and doesn't have exact measurements. It says, "one glass of jam between each layer". The layers will be baked in 9-inch pans and I will be using strawberry jam right out of the jar, nothing added to it. How much jam would I need for each layer? I haven't decided how many layers I'm going to make yet so I don't expect a total for the whole cake, just per layer.

By Joanie from South Norfolk , VA

Best Answer

Joanie, I presume that you,re making a sponge type cake. You dont need a precise amount of jam. Just put enough on to give a nice even layer, but not right up to the edge as this will squash out when you sandwich the cake together. Hope this helps. Jan UK

What difference does it really make? Just spread the jam on the cake to whatever amount looks good to you!

A recipe I have says to, just spread jam to almost the edge of each layer then top with next layer/layers. No speical amount either in mine.