Making a Christmas Wreath With a Hula Hoop

Category Decorations
Using a Hula Hoop as the form, you can make a large outdoor wreath for the holidays. This is a guide about making a Christmas wreath with a Hula Hoop.

Here is a photo of a large wreath I made for our back porch. I used a big hula hoop then attached branches from our old artificial Christmas tree. I went around one direction using the branches from the bottom 2 sections of the tree and alternated them.

I attached them with duck tape I tore into 1 inch by 7 inch wide strips. I then went back around the other direction with the branches from the upper parts of the tree to cover the duck tape and wire prongs. I poofed it out as I went and then added the bow.

I do plan to get a much larger bow when the after Christmas sales hit, but I think it turned out nice for basically free:) well other then replacing my kids' hoola hoop!

By Melanie mom2_5 from IL (Originally published 12/14/2005)

Top Comment

Great idea on using your kid's hula hoop. Also, others might keep this project in mind, next year, when checking out those close-out Summer sales, buy those hula hoops when they're dirt cheap. Another note on this same idea, could also wrap or decorate the hula hoop in silver & pink garland tinsel and decorate with chicks, decorative plastic eggs & bunnies, with a big pink, lavender or yellow bow for Easter, or use your imagination for other holidays.

Top Comment

I did almost the same thing... One day I was junking and was given this huge wreath form for free. I brought it home, and that fall I used our old christmas tree to make us a wreath. I just wired the branches on, starting with the largest lower ones. It is so much bigger and fuller than anything I've seen at a store. I got a string of white lights and a gigantic red bow at the "after-Christmas sale" that year. So far it has lasted 8 years with no problems.

That's really cool. It would be difficult to find such a large wreath in the retail market at any price. Thanks for sharing.

I love your wreath and the bow is just right. Keep up the good work.

Ziggee

This is wonderful! I love the hoop idea! What a big beautiful decoration wreath!

Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer CA

Pretty wreath and thrifty tip on using hoop!

LOVELY!!! Good idea! : )