Sometimes the best way to reuse a blanket is to make a warm coat. This guide is about making a coat out of a blanket.
Here are questions related to Making a Coat Out of a Blanket.
I am looking for a jacket pattern using woven throws or blankets.
1. Lay the blanket on a flat surface. Cut out two pieces of fleece that are each as wide as the widest part of your torso and long enough to reach from your collar bone to your hips.
2. Lay the two pieces directly on top of each other. Sew up the long sides of the fabric, leaving the top 6 inches of each side open for the armholes. Cut a "J" shape from each armhole to allow for more room for the shoulders.
3. Sew the top of the jacket together, leaving 6 inches open in the middle for the collar. Cut out a semi-circle at the front of the collar to make more room for the neck.
4. Cut the front of the jacket open all the way down the middle. Start at the middle of the collar and end at the bottom of the jacket.
5. Fold under the collar and the bottom of the jacket 1/4 inch. Sew the folds in place, tucking the raw edge of the fabric under as you sew.
6. Sew a zipper into the front opening of the jacket or use big buttons and make button holes on the other side, or even just make a belt and tie it together.
7. Cut out two pieces of fleece that are each 12 inches wide and long enough to reach from your shoulder to your wrist. Round off one of the shorter edges of each piece. These will form the sleeves.
8. Fold one sleeve piece in half, bringing the longer sides together. Sew the long sides together (opposite the fold).
9. Sew the curved end of the sleeve to the armhole in the jacket, with the middle of the curve at the top. Repeat this process with the second sleeve.
10. Fold the sleeve openings under 1/4 inch and iron the folds in place. Fold the fabric under 1/4 inch again and sew the fold into place. Turn the jacket right side out.
I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of the process? I am 15 and love to sew, but I kinda need some pictures. I hope to hear from you soon! :)
By Katie S.
By Dinah Ackerson 12/24/2014
Go to Pinterest and search "blanket coats". There are make pictures, ideas and DIY patterns to try.
I saw a lady today wearing a great looking coat made from an inexpensive, woven, fringed, throw-blanket. It did not have buttons and the fringe ran down the front, around the bottom, and around the collar. It looked pretty simple, but I could sure use some instructions or a pattern. Can anyone help me? (I am not talking about fleece.)
By redhatterb 12/16/2012
My guess is it would take two throws to make this the way you describe it. I think you would need to have a throw with an all over design, not just a centered design. Google the topic and see what you can come up with. Also look at patterns in the pattern books at fabric stores.
Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!
Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the comments that were provided then.
I need instructions for making a jacket from a throw blanket.
Rose from Brookhaven, MS
I have had good luck with this site when I was looking for a certain type of ideas or patterns for a project. Sometimes I just do a search, typing in the type of project I am looking for. It takes time and sometimes you have to do, what I call, a play of words to find what your looking for. I hope this was some help (12/03/2008)
I would like to know how to make a jacket out of throws.
By jsasser from Daphne, AL
I would like to sew a jacket using a blanket throw. I saw it done some years back, but can't remember the details. Does anyone have instructions or can you refer me to a pattern?
By Helen from Long Beach