Making a Comforter

Category Sewing
A sewing machine with material for a comforter.
Puffy comforters are very cozy for cold nights. Buying one is an option although sometimes an expensive one. This is a guide about making a comforter.

Does anyone know how to make a "hugger" comforter from an existing comforter? My granddaughter has recently been given bunk beds and I think it would be easier for her to make the beds if she had hugger comforters (fitted on one end). They are very expensive to buy, but it seems to be that a regular comforter could be cut down and then made to fit on one end. I just can't seem to picture how to do it...

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Martha from VT

Best Answer

I have never done this but perhaps you could try this suggestion. Place the quilt on the bed and tuck in the bottom section as you would a sheet. At the corners fold up the edges to the top of the mattress and lay the top of the quilt over the fold. Pin in place and sew by machine.

Best Answer

Put the quilt on the bed upside down. Using large safety pins creat a "basted" seam along the bottom corner. Stitch and trim.

Best Answer

One suggestion - use a regular comforter and buy straps to hold it on the mattress. Bed Bath and Beyond is just one store that offers these - click on link:

http://www.bedb  20599&RN=404

We have a sewing room that will convert comforters to huggers. Contact www.kidscomfortz.com

Do you have Microsoft Excel? If so, I can send you step-by-step instructions with diagrams showing how to make the corners. I cannot convert the file to gif or jpeg and couldn't figure out how to do it in Microsoft Word.

Anonymous

I would love a copy of this if you are willing to share.

I would love the instructions as well!

I would like to know how to make my own comforter for my king sized bed. I would like to make it for my husband in time for Christmas, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Best Answer

The easiest way would be to buy two sheets in the size you want the comforter. Sew them together and fill with an old comforter or batting. If you are using batting I recommend a polyester bat and then tie the comforter. Also make sure you get a bonded polyester bat

Best Answer

If you plan to sew the comforter/duvet on a sewing machine, I suggest you purchase a special "walking foot" for it. This will keep all the layers from slipping while you're sewing the project together.

I hope that helps.

The quickest & most enjoyable way to make a comforter for Christmas is to crochet one, you could then sew them together as you go. Crochet is much faster than knitting & very simple once you have mastered it.

Remember it will will be a lot colder at that time of year. So a nice soft wool will be ideal.

Olivia... in the UK

I am hoping someone can answer this for me? I can't find any comforters I like. They are all quite old fashioned or just not 'me'. Can I buy a simple quilt like this: http://www.kmart.com.au/product/all-seasons-quilt---queen-bed/582899?cm_vc=PDPZ1 and then purchase any duvet cover and sew it on somehow, to become a comforter? Thanks!

An easy idea would be to just buy the quilt and slip it inside the duvet cover. Fasten with safety pins so you can wash in the future.