Making a Container Water Garden

Category Container
Container Water Garden
Add a lovely special interest planting to your garden with a homemade container water garden. This is a guide about making a container water garden.

I found a really neat ceramic bowl on clearance last year. The inside had a really neat glaze so I didn't want to plant anything in it, I wanted to be able to see the colors. So I decided that it should be used for a container water garden.

I purchased 2 water lettuce and a water hyacinth to start with. I then added some frog bit, a tiny floating plant that multiplies and eventually will cover more of the water surface. I also added a beautiful hand-blown glass float.

My water garden required very little maintenance, mostly it needed water added every once in awhile. I found that the plants did best with morning sun and then partial shade, particularly the water lettuce, as the afternoon sun burned the leaves. The only issue I ran into was mosquito larvae, which was easily solved by purchasing floating mosquito donuts and cutting off a small piece to float in the bowl.

That is very pretty. Where did you go to get your plants and where did you go to get the mosquito donuts? I might try this, it sounds like something I would enjoy doing. Thanks for posting this beautiful water garden!

Blessings,

Robyn

Many of our local nurseries sell a small variety of water plants. I would call around to save time. :) I found the mosquito doughnuts at the hardware store. I had to ask someone there, they were hidden. They work really well too! Good luck on starting one, I absolutely love mine.

Beautiful! Thanks for posting.