Making a Cornucopia

Category Thanksgiving
Photo of a beautiful cornucopia with gourds, corn and apples.
The cornucopia, or horn of plenty, is a traditional harvest symbol. Make one for your Thanksgiving meal or as a fall decoration. This is a guide about making a cornucopia.

This is a recycled cornucopia. I found the cornucopia at my local thrift store along with the flowers. Everything, except the moss that was used, was recycled thrift or items I already had at my house.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes

Instructions:

1. First I took a piece of Styrofoam that came in my husband's birthday present. I cut it down to a size I could wedge inside the cornucopia.

2. Once that was done I pulled it out and took enough moss to cover the Styrofoam. Then I hot glued the moss on to the Styrofoam. This way the white Styrofoam had no chance of being seen.

3. Next I took a piece of wire ribbon left over from another project and placed it around the cornucopia and tied the bow until I got it just the way I wanted. I tacked the ribbon down with hot glue.

4. Once this was done I started choosing which flowers I wanted to use and cut them off the stems leaving about an inch and a half of stem on each flower. Then I started pushing them through the Styrofoam however I liked them.

5. Once the flowers were placed I pushed the Styrofoam back in to the cornucopia and tacked it with hot glue. I also tacked some of flowers down randomly to the cornucopia. This is a versatile project!

You can place it on your mantel, door, kitchen table, or anywhere else you would like. It is a perfect fall craft decoration that can be used all season. This craft was also extremely cheap. The cornucopia was .79 cents, I had the Styrofoam, ribbon, and hot glue, the moss was $2.00 for a large bag and I only used a small portion, and the fall flowers were 30% off of $3.95 at my local thrift store. I still have flowers and moss left over for another project!

By Mistie from Baton Rouge, LA

Beautiful...I could never do this. It is beautiful, amazing how crafty you are. The cost is surprising also. I admit would love one on my table top! Great job.

I was a bit confused as the top photo showed gourds and I assumed that they were going to be used in the cornucopia. Are you just stuffing the gourds into the cornucopia?