Making a Cover for an Outdoor Grill

Category Miscellaneous
Cover for an Outdoor Grill
Covering your outdoor grill will help keep it clean and may extend the life of the grill. You don't have to spend a lot to buy a cover, make one yourself. This is a guide about making a cover for an outdoor grill.

With warm weather coming and lots of BBQ's, I found an old vinyl table cloth that no longer matches my color schemes. I folded it in half lengthwise, turned inside out, and stitched up both ends. I turned it back so the pretty side shows.

Now I have a BBQ grill cover and it's so much prettier than the ones you buy and a whole lot cheaper. Also, it's so quick and easy to make. If you don't sew, you could glue the sides with a vinyl glue.

Happy grilling.

By dwedenoja from New Creek, WV

Spice up your plastic grill cover by painting on a summer design. Just by hand painting or even painting your design on with stencils you can give your grill cover a new look for summer. Pick a theme that fits your outside decor and add interest to an otherwise boring grill cover. I hand painted my theme on and after drying I sprayed on 4 coats of clear spray paint to seal it from rain and the sun's hot rays. This is a great gift to give someone too just by purchasing a plain grill cover and then adding a theme you think they may like.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hours Depending on the skill of the painted design and drying times. Stencils are very fast to apply 1 hour or less

*Either buy store bought stencils or create your own by printing the individual design onto paper on your computer then cut it out with tiny scissors.

Instructions:

1. Choose your design theme and either hand paint or stencil on your design to the front side of your grill cover.
  2. Let dry completely and add 4 coats of clear spray paint as the sealer to protect it from rain and the suns hot rays. Most times I do 2 coats of clear coat but on this I did 4 so it will last and the design will not come off.
    My design theme was just summer items which was a hot fire flame on the top with red chili peppers on each side with the word "Grill'n" in the center done in a hand font that I tried to mock as an flaming onion. And below that, I did a blue checkered table cloth in a triangle shape with a cheeseburger/bottle of Coke and a hot dog beside it.
  3. If you cannot do free hand painted designs like myself, do not feel as though you have no other options. Because stenciling designs in solid color silhouettes are just as pretty and make a dramatic design statement and if slightly layered or over lapped using stencils you get a beautiful look. And you can choose lots of themes to stencil on to go with the outdoors theme to match lots of settings.

Some ideas to get you started are as follows:

By Julie from TN