Making a Crochet Gingerbread House

Category Patterns
crochet gingerbread house with cat in background
This cute little crochet version of the tasty holiday treat can be used year after to year to decorate your home. This is a guide about making a crochet gingerbread house.

Debra Frick3 found this helpful

This project is a scrap yarn project. You need very little yarn to complete this project maybe an ounce of the main color and just scraps of the white yarn. At my local craft store I found lots of miniature tree ornaments that I put to use in this project plus I had some left over jewels from another project I had. This would be a great way to use up those tiny leftovers that you have from other craft projects. The milk container is standard issue at most schools. I just collected a bunch of empty ones and washed them out. So ask you child to bring you home some. I used hot glue to glue the roof and gable ends on. I know crochet purist will think it was cheating but it made for a better bond . Also it was faster. Most milk containers are about the same dimensions but you can measure your chain along the edges to make sure you have it big enough and add a few more rows if your container is bigger.

Time to Complete: 2 hours, not including dry time for the paint.

Materials

Instructions

Roof (make two)

Chain 17

Row 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook, Sc in each stitch across. Chain 2 turn.

Row 2-8 Sc in each stitch across Chain 2 turn. Fasten off. Work in ends. Set aside.

End Gables (make 2)

Chain 2 Sc crochet in first stitch. Chain 2 turn

1 Sc in first stitch , 2 Sc in last stitch. Chain 2 turn

1 Sc in first stitch and 2 Sc crochet in last 2 stitches. Fasten off. Work in ends. Set aside.

Bottom: (Make 1)

Chain 9

Row 1: Single crochet in each stitch across, Chain 2 turn.(8sc)

Row 2-6 Single crochet in each stitch across, Chain 2 turn then fasten off and work in ends. (8 sc)

Sides (Make 4)

Chain 9

Row 1 : same as above for bottom

Row 2-10 Same as above for bottom

Fasten off and work in ends.

Assembly: Sew all four sides together with a needle and a little bit of the leftover brown yarn. Sew on bottom. Slide on to milk carton this should fit snuggly on the milk carton if not just squirt some glue down the sides and glue it down. For the roof take your 2 pieces and crocheting in back loops only slip stitch together. Finish off and work in ends. Trim for Roof and gable ends: With bulky white yarn, slip stitch evenly around all edges.

Finish off and work in ends. Now, tape or hot glue the top of your milk carton shut. Hot glue roof in place, be sure to center your roof as it is a bit longer than the milk carton. Glue on gable ends.

Decorations: Using white fabric paint as you would use frosting, Paint on door and windows. Now have fun with it glue on any little thing your heart desires. This is a great way to use up pieces of other ornaments that would be thrown away.

Have fun and Merry Christmas!

So cute!

Well this is just darling. Great job!!

This is so adorable. I am going to make one tonight. Thank you so much.

Too cute, I cant wait to make one. By any chance would you know or have the pattern for a flat cupcake? I want to use them as appliques on some of my goodies. Thanks and have a pink rainbow day.

georgia from ohio