DecorationsChristmas

Making a Disposable Cup Christmas Chandelier

I just started decorating for Christmas and thought of making a crystal ball out of clear disposable cups, but then my mom suggested that I should make a big half sphere to create a chandelier. So, I thought of using white cups instead of the clear ones. And here are the results.

1. Start with two plastic cups, staple them together.
  2. Continue adding plastic cups until they create a big circle. Put together both ends and staple to secure.
  3. As the circle is formed, attach another set of cups above it for the next layer. Staple to secure side by side.
  4. Ad
  5. Do the same with the next layers until you create a large bowl like shape. It should look like half a sphere.
  6. Get a piece of pointed steel and heat it over the fire. Now, press it unto the center of the bottom of each cup to create holes.
  7. Ad
  8. When the holes are done, insert the series lights one by one on each hole. Test.
  9. Ad
  10. Hang it on your ceiling and switch on to enjoy watching the lights blink and the colors change.
  11. Ad

That is pretty. But it also looks like a tremendous fire hazard. The plastic cup aren't made for hot drinks and the light bulbs do get very warm if not hot at times.

I have made sparkleballs, which are similar to this and the lights don't get hot enough to cause a problem. Using newer LED lights would alleviate that concern even more.

The light turned out great!

Very pretty. But I would make sure it doesn't get too hot, the cups don't look very sturdy.