Making a Dog Poop Bag Dispenser
One way to always have a poop bag handy when walking your dog is by having a supply with you. This is a guide about making a dog poop bag dispenser
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
We recently bought a package of dog poop bags with a dispenser. The dispenser broke almost immediately, leaving us with a bunch of bag rolls without a way to carry them with us. I designed this easy to make fabric pouch that clips to our leash.
- 1/3 yd fabric
- curtain grommets
- snap, button, or Velcro
Click here to download the template.
- Print template and cut out. (The template measures 7.5 inches by 6.5 inches with .25 inch seam lines.) Pin template to fabric and cut out twice.
- Pin the two pieces right sides together. Sew all 4 sides, leaving an opening, approx. 2" wide, on one of the long sides for turning. Tie off threads, snip corners, and turn.
- Press with an iron. Turn edges of opening in, pin in place, and top stitch shut. Tie off threads and snip off ends.
- Top stitch the short sides with 1/4" seams. Tie off threads and snip of excess.
- Find the center of the fabric, marking with a small "x". Align grommet template center with mark on fabric and make template marks.
- Pin around template marks to hold both fabric layers in place. Use small, sharp scissors to cut out circle for grommet. Remove pins.
- Place grommet half (with raised edge) in center of hole. Then put other grommet half (with prongs) over raised edge and press down firmly with your hand.
- Cut a piece of ribbon 3" in length and use a lighter to melt the ends to prevent fraying.
- Fold short sides of fabric inward 2", overlapping in the center. Pin in place. Fold ribbon in half and slip into one of the pinned ends, loop on the inside and a little hanging past the edge of the fabric.
- Sew ends shut, removing pins as you go. Tie off threads and snip off excess.
- Turn the pouch right side out and press seams.
- Measure to find the center of the two sides of the opening. I marked the centers with a pin. Sew on a snap or piece of Velcro to help keep the poop bag roll inside.
- Attach the carabiner clip to the ribbon loop. Put the poop bag roll into the dispenser, snap it shut, and feed the end of the roll through the grommet.
- Clip the dispenser to the leash so that you always have a bag on hand to pick up after your dog!
July 20, 20142 found this helpful
This video shows you how to make a cute bag to hold a roll of dog poo bags.
Read More Comments
March 13, 20170 found this helpful
You really have to smash it. My husband uses a mallet. You could always uses a heavier material.