Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making a Faux Tin Kitchen Backsplash

If you like the look of metal for a backsplash, there are ways to make it appear similar to tin. This is a guide about making a faux tin kitchen backsplash.

August 6, 2009 Flag

We had cupboards added on and a new countertop but the old backsplash had been tiled and we couldn't match them up. I put up the paintable wallpaper primed and painted it with silver metallic paint and then several coats of varathane. It look amazing, just like tin. For my 17 foot counter I used half a roll of the paper so the whole project was under $50.

By Carol from Waterloo, Ontario

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Looks great in the photo & must be awesome to see. Very clever & affordable.

Great finished look! Makes me wonder if something similar could be done to do a faux-tin ceiling? Very clever, great post.

I love this idea and would love to do this in my kitchen. I was thinking of getting the vinyl backsplash that looks like tin, but I think this would be easier to do. It looks great!

Great idea. It looks real from the image.

This is exactly what I am wanting to do and is right in my price range. Would you post more step-by-step directions along with where to get everything? For example, did you glue it up? Paint it after it is up or before? What type of glue. I have seen pictures of where people have done this with the drop ceilings too, but also not real clear directions. Thanks, Robbyn

Nicely done and the price is right!

This is great and with the economy so bad it is a very helpful tip. I agree with Robbyn. Please tell us more info such as, where did you find the wallpaper? Next how exactly did you apply it, did you use sizing and wallpaper paste or something else? Did you use spray on metallic paint or something else, and also brand names?

Once again it is a great idea, you must be really creative. Thank you for sharing. Darlene

Home and Garden Home Improvement KitchenMay 5, 2014
Tile Backsplash
Updating a Tile Backsplash
Choosing Kitchen Backsplash
Choosing Kitchen Backsplash Color
White fake cake of boxes and bows
Faux Wedding Cake Ideas
Tin Can Frog
Tin Can Animal Crafts
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2017 at 1:19:48 PM on 10.0.2.6 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.