FloralCrafts

Making a Floral Swag for the Front Door

Does anyone have any thrifty ideas for making a floral swag for the door? I am trying to make this a cheap project for my friend and I to make.

By Crystal from Zebulon, NC

Look for fresh vines and supple branches (like bittersweet and willow. If your branches have berries it makes a great natural treat for birds. Gather them up and make a circle out of them, twisting and weaving loose ends as you go. Tie it north, south east and west with some twine. There you have a great natural wreath without having to buy anything! You could even embellish it further in the winter with peanut butter pinecones or suet shapes. Use cookie cutters for seasonal shapes.

I used to make sprays with seasonal cuttings from the woods near my house. I would take three cuttings per spray, putting the longest in the center and the two shorter ones on either side. I'd tie them with twist-ties from bin liner bags, then use a piece of twine to make a rustic bow to cover the twist-ties.

Thanksgiving Day afternoon 2009, I made Christmas sprays for the whole neighborhood. The sprays really looked great.

I used cedar cuttings from my front yard, and red yarn from the bargain bin at Wal-Mart, the cuttings kept their colour from Thanksgiving through Epiphany (26 Nov thru 6 Jan), and was a neat neighborhood get-together. Some of the neighbors saw me out on a ladder and stopped to say hi. I sent them off with sprays for their doors, which led to other neighbors stopping. I didn't plan it to happen but I'm very glad it did. Twelve families plus mine had a simple but lovely Mountain Christmas door decoration that year:)

It was a beautiful crisp North Georgia mountain Thanksgiving afternoon that I will never forget. It turned out to be my last one in the US, so it is now a deeply treasured memory.