Making a Halloween Pom Pom Topiary
A pom pom topiary is an excellent way to a Halloween decoration to your home. This is a guide about making a halloween pom pom topiary
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This awesome Halloween topiary is easy to make and can easily be customized!
- purple yarn
- x-large pom pom maker
- wooden dowel
- clay flower pot
- black acrylic paint
- paint brush
- hot glue gun
- black wire
- Styrofoam ball
- black felt
- ribbon, optional
- clear coat spray
- Open one half of the pom pom maker and begin wrapping yarn around it, working your way from one end to the other. You can use multiple colors of yarn by wrapping a new one then continuing with the previous color (see photo below).
- Continue wrapping until it is almost full and there is only a slight arched space in the middle. Then clip that half closed and repeat in the other half.
- Use scissors to cut through the center of the wrapped yarn, along the groove. Repeat on the other side.
- Cut a length of yarn and pull it firmly into the groove, bringing the ends together. Tie a tight knot. I like to wrap the yarn around a second time and tie another knot. Cut off the excess yarn. Then separate the pom pom maker to release the pom pom.
- Trim off any long pieces of yarn to shape the pom pom.
- Use a sharp instrument to start a hole in the center of the foam ball. Then insert the dowel to finish making the hole. Note: I used the saw tool on my Leatherman.
- Paint the dowel with black acrylic paint.
- Paint the flower pot with black acrylic paint. Apply additional coats of paint for good coverage. Once dry, apply a coat of glitter paint, if desired. Spray with clear coat.
- Spread apart the fibers of the pom pom and apply a good amount of hot gun down near the center.
- Then firmly push the dowel into the glue and twist it slightly to adhere it well. Allow glue to dry. Now insert the dowel into the foam ball, apply glue if necessary.
- Insert the foam ball into the pot and apply glue to hold securely.
- Apply glue to the foam ball and add the moss.
- I made a paper bat template and transferred it to cardboard. Then I attached the cardboard template to the felt using rolled pieces of tape. Cut out the bats.
- Adhere the bats to lengths of black wire, by sandwiching the end of the wire between the bat and a small square of felt. Then insert the wire into the pom pom topiary. Apply some hot glue to hold them in place.