Making a Hallway Picture Ledge

Category Accessories
Hallway Picture Ledge
When displaying all your favorite family photos you can run out of good places. Here's a way to create more space. This is a guide about making a hallway picture ledge.

This is a ledge/shelf you attach to the wall in the hallway between your doors to sit picture frames on. It's easier then nailing a lot of nails in the wall. It's easy to rearrange pictures and change them as the families grow. I have 3 in my hallway. I love this idea. It works wonderfully!

Approximate Time: 3 hours

Instructions:

1. Measure, measure, measure. Very important. You want to be sure to get the pine boards and molding to reach from one door to the other using one long piece without having to cut and piece 2 together. I cannot explain the kind of molding to use but you want the kind that has a flat part to attach to the wall and then a top part that is big enough to nail the pine board for the ledge to.

2. I had someone router a finished edge to my pine boards and also a groove on the top that was big enough to sit the frame in to prevent it from sliding off. You could nail a small trim piece here instead of the groove. You could just sand the corners of the board to finish it instead of using the router.

3. Sand, prime and paint everything.

4. Nail or screw the molding to the wall.

5. Nail or screw the pine board to the molding. Or you could attach the board to the molding and attach the whole ledge as one long piece to the wall instead of doing it separately.

6. I stenciled a gold design along the top. You could skip this because you really do not see it when the pictures are on the ledge. Unless you only have a few. You may want something to fill in the spaces in between the frames.

7. Add frames with pictures and arrange as you like.

By Little Suzy from OH