Making a Homemade Roach Trap

Category Cockroaches
Roach Trap
In climates where cockroaches thrive, it can be a challenge to keep them under control. Making your own traps can save you money. This is a guide about homemade roach trap.

No need for expensive, smelly, and toxic cockroach killers that leave a residue. Spray cockroaches with any ammonia-based cleaner (e.g. Spray 'n Wipe). Ammonia is deadly to living things. And you clean your bench/floor at the same time! The ammonia smell dissipates quickly. It's best to angle the spray so that it reaches underneath the insect, where their breathing tubes are.

Like most animals, cockroaches need to eat and drink daily so discourage them with ruthless food hygiene and cover all your drains with strainers, so they can't climb down the p-trap and get to a water source. They'll soon move elsewhere for easier pickings.

By debmw from Sydney, Australia

Take a empty baby food jar are similar. wipe inside of rim, with Vaseline, bait with piece of banana peel, or a potato skin.

Hide in a dark corner of cabinet. After about a week 10 days check. If full either cap and dispose of in trash or fill with boiling water, wash and remake.

By Randa from Martindale TX

Roach killing products I've found DO NOT WORK except for roach motels which are somewhat helpful but hard to find. I've tried boric acid. Other ideas would be appreciated!

VE from MI

Answers:

Roach Control Ideas

I've used baking soda. Roaches can't burp so they eat this and it expands until they explode. Just put it in the area the roaches are near the trim. Roaches come out eat some go back in the crack and buh-bye roaches. I've never noticed any smell from them. Good Luck (08/24/2004)

By Laura

Roach Control Ideas

In an old frugal book, Household Hints by Carol Rees, she recommends Bay leaves. Just place a couple in cabinets where they frequent. I am not sure if this works since we don't have much of a roach problem up in the northwest. (08/25/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Roach Control Ideas

I know you said Boric Acid didn't work but have you tried this... mix the boric acid with an equal amount of sugar or flour. Place this in a plastic where they frequent. The flour or sugar will attract them to the boric acid and the boric acid should kill them. (08/25/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Roach Control Ideas

i heard if you put peanutbutter in a jar and then lube the mouth of the jar they come in to eat peanutbutter but cant get out because it is too slick on rim and they die. (12/04/2004)

By rangerwife

Roach Control Ideas

Roaches need water. Cut off all source of water for them, make sure no dripping water in house, dry counters. Put harsh toilet drops on the potty such as ones that have bleach! This is very important, if you do a little web surfing on this subject, you will find that water is a source of life for roaches. Next get the raid for eggs, this product affects the eggs and next generation of roaches. I was rid of mine in one month. I found them on my patio leaving in the hot summer day. Looking for water I'm sure. I do not know how we got them, but talking to my neighbors gave me a clue. Seems that a discount store that we shop had them. My neighbors also had some unwanted guests. Also roaches love glue. (01/23/2005)

By guest(shirley)

Roach Control Ideas

I heard years ago on Paul Harvey to get ROACH PRUFE. Make sure it is spelled 'prufe'. I tried it years ago when we lived in an apartment and IT WORKS! Ace hardware usually carries it, call ahead to be sure. If you cannot find a store close that sells it check online. (07/12/2005)

By JustCeleste

Roach Control Ideas

Most roach baits I have tried are a joke. They don't do much at all but I tried a new one called hot shot liquid roach bait it said starts killing in 24 hrs. So I thought yea right. Well the next day I'm not kidding I could see a difference and by the end of the week. I've maybe seen one. But I only bought one package so if you get more then one pack they will rid faster. I think there is only 4 or 6 to a pack. (09/07/2008)

By Terry Cross