Making a Lint Trap for a Washtub Drain

Category Laundry
laundry room with utility sink, washer, and dryer
If your washer drains into your washtub or utility sink you don't want all of that lint clogging the drain. This is a guide about making a lint trap for a washtub drain.

A washing machine repairman told me to put a pantyhose leg on the pipe that drains into our slop sink. I was surprised to see how much lint it caught. All that lint would eventually clog our drain, and plumbers are expensive! I also have a mesh filter in the drain itself.

I use the good leg from a ripped pair of pantyhose. I also go to garage sales and buy pantyhose for a good price, so I always have some on hand.

Source: Washing machine repairman

Prevent lint from clogging a washtub drain when the clothes washing machine drains into it by covering the drain hose with old pantyhose. Just cut off a 5 inch section of leg from the pantyhose and a 1 inch section. Slip the longer section over the drain hose. Cut the smaller section to use as a fastener. Be sure t o knot the fastener tightly to secure the "lint trap" to the drain hose.

By Joan E in MN