Making a Magnetic Wristband Nail and Screw Holder

Category Miscellaneous
Magnetic Wristband
Often when working on a home project, it would be useful to have a convenient way to keep track of extra nails or screws being used. This is a guide about making a magnetic wristband nail and screw holder.

I stayed with my son while he was remodeling his house and tried helping in whatever way I could. I noticed that he would save any nails and screws that were laying around by loading his pockets with them or there would be several little piles of them throughout the house. I kept thinking that there had to be a better way to have them close at hand when needed, but not in the hand, so to speak.

I came up with this idea and it works like a charm. It can be made to be worn on the wrist, upper arm, or thigh. The one pictured here was made to be worn on the thigh. I made a smaller version for myself that I wear on my wrist while sewing to keep my pins close at hand.

Approximate Time: 1 hr.

Instructions:

1. Make the slots for the elastic by drilling a line of holes side by side on direct opposite sides of lid. You want the line of holes the same width of the elastic you are using. Snip the plastic in between the holes open enough to slide elastic through.

2. Using the lid as a template, cut out one circle from felt and one from material. Measure the width of the lid rim and trace another circle of material, slightly larger to match the rim measurement. This is the larger circle you will cover the lid with. You only want this circle big enough to reach and cover the inside of the rim. Keep as much material off the inside base where the magnets will be glued so they sit flat and even.

3. Put hot glue on the top of the lid and set it in the middle on the backside of the larger material circle.

4. Working a small area at a time, begin gluing material to the outside of the rim, pulling taut each time. Work each time opposite the side you just finished so material will be evenly distributed. Do the same now on the inside of the rim and trim away any excess material. The lid should now be covered in material with the inside of the base being the only plastic that shows.

5. Cut through material where the slots on the lid are. I used a craft knife to do this.

6. Slide your elastic through one slot and out the other. Pull until it is centered. The length of the elastic will depend on what body part it will be worn on. Cut your elastic longer than needed to ensure enough length. You can measure and cut excess off before sewing ends together. Better more now than not enough later.

7. Put glue on lid under elastic and press firmly until set.

8. Cover base well with glue and lay your felt circle on top of elastic. Press down firmly.

9. Now you will glue in the magnets. I used a lid from a standard size jar of peanut butter and filled it with 9 magnets, 1/2" in size. Glue in one magnet at a time using hot glue. Watch as you set them next to each other for they will have a tendency to magnetize to one another. Once they are glued down, they are fine. Start a ring of them on the outer edge and work your way to the middle. Work a small area at a time and glue the last circle of material to the inside of rim. Only put glue on the rim. Do not put any on top of magnets.

10. Sew 2 tubes from material to cover elastic. Make the length slightly longer than the elastic. I used a pair of tweezers to pull the elastic through each one. Attach the ends closest to the lid by stitching to the material on lid.

11. Sew ends of elastic together securely.

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

That is so creative! I love keeping a loose magnet in my purse, big enough for me to find. It attracts anything loose like paperclips, etc. I love your idea!

Thanks and what a great idea you have. Think I'll make a smaller one for my purse! Thanks for the idea.