AdviceCrafts

Making a Memorial Project with Father's Clothing

My daddy passed away on the first of this month and his birthday was yesterday he would have been 80. He was my everything. I do not know how to make a quilt, but he has ties, shirts, and suits. I want to do a project where my mom, my daughter (his first granddaughter), and I can make something. This is the toughest thing and the pain is so real. Part of my heart left March 1st. I am still trying to even believe he's gone.
Thanks in advance.

You could hire someone to do this. I would rather do that than ruin my father's clothes. Or, you could take quilting lessons and practice on fabric that doesn't have sentimental value to you.

Quilting is extremely difficult-- definitely need a professional if you're not experienced. But you can always have your mum's and your daughter's and your own hand in it with some personal finishing touches. If there is a great abundance of his clothing, you could make a few smaller pieces together as a team. I am so very sorry for your loss. I know how awful this feels. I don't know you but I'm sending you hugs!

Thanks so much - I was hoping to come up with another idea - since I don't quilt or probably can't afford a quilter - - and thanks for the HUG - this is the toughest thing in my life - my dad went to sleep with my mom - his love of his life and never woke up - I never heard him raise his voice - after God - she was first in his life - all the trouble I caused growing up - I would cry - and my dad would also - never yelled or judged me - Part of my heart left on March 1st - and reality isn't happening yet - sucks - so thanks so much for your kind words.

I'm sorry for your loss.

We took my fathers bath robe and had teddy bears made - the lady was able to get 4 bears out of the piece of clothing. This was in 1991 ...We each have our teddy bears in our homes. My teddy bear has attended 2 (grand)daughter's weddings and 2 graduations. He's in all the photos too!

That is so awesome!!! Thanks

My wife made shadow boxes with items that were passed down to me from my mom and dad. They are in our living room. One has my mom's Christmas stocking from when she was a kid. I have another with a compass and a few other items that my dad gave to me. There may be a nice way to incorporate a few of your dad's ties into a shadow box.

First - I am very sorry for your loss.

Do you have a photo of your dad wearing one of his favorite ties? My sis-in-law and I wanted to do something similar to your thoughts but we wanted it to be in full view so all of his family, friends and quests could remember him along with us. We decided on using a photo where he was wearing one of his favorite ties and make a "picture" with the photo and the tie.

Everyone made so many comments about it (I remember him wearing that tie - This looks just like something he would have done - so lifelike - and on and on) that we decided to do several for close members of our family. We even did one with his "cook's" apron.

You can probably come up with your own ideas but I know from experience this is a very good way to remember your loved one . We continuously have different friends ask up to help them do this but there is no skill involved - just find a suitable picture frame as most ties will fit inside (we actually had just the front in the frame and the rest of the tie taped to the outside back of the frame).

Think about your dad and try to decide on something that really makes you remember him and also how much you loved him.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I never met my dad, as he died before I was born. Treasure what time you had with him.

You can make a shirt pillow, and add a tag that reads:

This is a shirt

I used to wear.

Whenever you hold it,

Know that I am there.

Love Dad (His name, Grandpa, or whatever the reciepetant called him)

I wish I had had this when my grandpa passed away.