AdviceCrafts

Making a Memorial Project with Father's Clothing

My daddy passed away on the first of this month and his birthday was yesterday he would have been 80. He was my everything. I do not know how to make a quilt, but he has ties, shirts, and suits. I want to do a project where my mom, my daughter (his first granddaughter), and I can make something. This is the toughest thing and the pain is so real. Part of my heart left March 1st. I am still trying to even believe he's gone.
Thanks in advance.

You could hire someone to do this. I would rather do that than ruin my father's clothes. Or, you could take quilting lessons and practice on fabric that doesn't have sentimental value to you.

Quilting is extremely difficult-- definitely need a professional if you're not experienced. But you can always have your mum's and your daughter's and your own hand in it with some personal finishing touches. If there is a great abundance of his clothing, you could make a few smaller pieces together as a team. I am so very sorry for your loss. I know how awful this feels. I don't know you but I'm sending you hugs!

Thanks so much - I was hoping to come up with another idea - since I don't quilt or probably can't afford a quilter - - and thanks for the HUG - this is the toughest thing in my life - my dad went to sleep with my mom - his love of his life and never woke up - I never heard him raise his voice - after God - she was first in his life - all the trouble I caused growing up - I would cry - and my dad would also - never yelled or judged me - Part of my heart left on March 1st - and reality isn't happening yet - sucks - so thanks so much for your kind words.

I'm sorry for your loss.

We took my fathers bath robe and had teddy bears made - the lady was able to get 4 bears out of the piece of clothing. This was in 1991 ...We each have our teddy bears in our homes. My teddy bear has attended 2 (grand)daughter's weddings and 2 graduations. He's in all the photos too!