Making a Padded Headboard

I want to make a queen padded headboard using Styrofoam. How would I attach it to the wall? I want to hear from anyone who has made their own headboard.

Betty from Lubbock, TX

Answers:

Making a Padded Headboard

I think you should use 1/4 inch thin plywood and glue the styrofoam to the front. Why would you use styrofoam instead of foam rubber? Attach the plywood to the wall using "L" brackets or long drywall screws. (02/02/2008)

By LITTLE SUZY

Making a Padded Headboard

I mean using styrofoam INSTEAD OF PLYWOOD. I saw this on one of the decorating shows sometime ago but it did not show how it was attached to the wall. Styrfoam was used making it lighter; it was padded and covered like the board. Thanks for the tip about the L brackets. (02/03/2008)

By

Making a Padded Headboard

I made my own padded and upholstered headboard once. I understand that using styrofoam would make it lighter, but I don't think it would be very sturdy, and would be more likely to come off the wall. Maybe you could attach the styrofoam to a very light piece of wood, like luan, just to give it some stability. (02/05/2008)

By Beth

Making a Padded Headboard

I made a headboard using foam poster board. I stapled 2 together and reinforced with strips across the back. Covered it with thick batting and a light fabric. I then made a slipcover of suede cloth. At this point you could tie in buttons if you wanted it tufted. I didn't because I use the light material for summer and the suede for winter. I put a 1x2 inch line with the connections on the bed frame and intended to connect it to the frame. I have not gotten that far because I stuck it behind the bed and it stays just fine. Turned out very nice and really inexpensive. (02/06/2008)

By Graycrab

Making a Padded Headboard

They used velcro. (02/08/2008)

By Denise W.

Wood plank headboard.
Making a Headboard
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Sloppy joes for a large group.
Making Sloppy Joes for a Large Group
Bed Rail Padding
Bed Rail Padding Ideas
🎉
🎄