Making a Pecan Marshmallow Log

Category Candies
Pecan Marshmallow Log
Imagine a deliciously sweet candy log made with a combination of caramel and pecans filled with marshmallow. This is a guide about making a pecan marshmallow log.

I love this recipe for pecan log and it is so easy to make. It's a little messy, but well worth the trouble involved when you taste of the results. Delicious! Time to complete can vary. A lot of melting time and cooling time is involved, however you can make the marshmallow log one day and put it all together the next day. Usually, when I make it, I make several logs at a time. Each log is a foot long and will yield 2 dozen slices.

• 2 Tbsp butter (divided)
  • 21 regular marshmallows
  • 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups chopped pecans
  • 24 Kraft caramels (1/2 of 14 oz package)
  • 1 Tbsp water

1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in pan on low heat. Add 21 marshmallows and stir until melted. Add vanilla and 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
  2. Beat in enough confectioners sugar to make mixture of kneading consistency. Turn mixture out on waxed paper sprinkled with more powdered sugar. Knead and shape into a 12 inch long roll. Refrigerate until log is cold and firm. Place remaining nuts in a 12 X 4 inch rectangular pattern on a piece of waxed paper.
  3. Ad
  4. Combine caramels with remaining butter (1 Tablespoon) and 1 tablespoon water. Melt over low heat.
  5. Pour melted caramel mixture evenly in a thin stream over pecans. Let cool.
  6. Ad
  7. Place marshmallow roll in center.
  8. Put your hand under the wax paper and lift and press caramel and nuts around marshmallow log, pressing nuts in carefully. Seal to edges.
  9. Ad
  10. Place on clean wax paper and cool until log is stiff.
  11. Eat and enjoy!

Be sure to let the caramel cool some before you start wrapping it around the log or else you will have a sticky mess like I did the first time I made one.

This recipe was given to me by a coworker around 40 years ago.

• 2 Tbsp. butter (divided)
  • 21 large marshmallows
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
  • 24 Kraft caramels
  • 1 Tbsp. water

Directions

For center: Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in pan on low heat. Add 21 large marshmallows and stir until melted. Add vanilla and 1/2 cup chopped nuts. Beat in enough confectioners sugar to make mixture of kneading consistency. Turn mixture out on waxed paper sprinkled with more powdered sugar. Knead and shape into a 12 inch long roll. Refrigerate to cool.

Place remaining nuts in a 12x4 inch rectangular pattern on a piece of waxed paper.

Combine caramels with remaining butter (1 Tbsp.) and 1 Tbsp. water. Melt over low heat. Pour melted caramel mixture evenly in a thin stream over nuts. Let it cool.

Place marshmallow roll in center. Put hand under the waxed paper and lift caramel around marshmallow center, pressing nuts in carefully. Seal to edges.

Wrap in waxed paper and store in airtight container. Yield 2 dozen slices.

Source: I have been making this every Christmas since an old friend gave me the recipe in the 70's. It is not that hard to make and it is delicious.

By Hate Litter from NC

Videos

"I love this recipe for pecan log and it is so easy to make. It's a little messy, but well worth the trouble involved when you taste of the results. Delicious! Time to complete can vary. A lot of melting time and cooling time is involved, however you can make the marshmallow log one day and put it all together the next day. Usually, when I make it, I make several logs at a time. Each log is a foot long and will yield 2 dozen slices." - Litter Gitter View the full recipe here: Pecan Marshmallow Log