Making a Plastic Bag Holder

Rather than buy a plastic bag holder for your recycled bags, make one. This is a guide about making a plastic bag holder.

May 29, 2008 Flag

Take an old doll and recycle into a cute plastic bag holder.

Approximate Time: one hour

Instructions:

1. To the doll dress hem, add enough material to make the length from the shoulder of the doll to the new hem twenty-seven inches long. (I do not remove the doll legs.)
  2. Three inches from the bottom hem, add one inch of seam binding. This is where you can really get creative by making your own contrasting binding. Sometimes I put the seam binding on the outside, other times on the inside. Insert the elastic.
  3. To the head of the doll (generally they have a hat), hand sew a round plastic ring or add a piece of yarn to hang the doll.

I have the dolls on several doors in the house. It makes it so easy to always have a plastic bag when you need one.

I have been able to find dolls with themes to give to match my friends hobbies and personalities. We all know the joy in making is as much fun as the giving.

By Tedebear from San Jose, CA

Very creative, nice job!!

Wow! Love these!! Where do the bags go in?

Hi Carol,

Oops! I'm sorry. I insert the bags in the bottom of the bag lady and pull them out of the bottom. They stay in just fine. I have the bag "ladies" in the laundry room, patio room, garage, bathroom and just about anywhere there is an available hook!

Hi, could you please send me the pattern and instruction in my e mail.

Thanks for your attention.

Editor's Note: Gaby, you didn't provide an email address. However all the instructions are on this page. At the top, there is a "print" option which will let you print it right from this webpage. Good Luck!

August 8, 2005 Flag
Rela Ann2 found this helpful

Ever figure out where to put those tons of plastic bags you get when you go to the groceries? Here's a cheap way to do it while teaching your young ones the value of recycling!

tin can plastic bag dispenser

September 30, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about DIY plastic bag dispenser. Keeping your plastic bags organized for reuse can be done in a variety of ways.

DIY Plastic Bag Dispenser

January 23, 2008 Flag

Oh, how I enjoy shopping for bargains. During the warmer months, DH and I love to go to all kinds of garage sales. At one of the sales, I saw something hanging on a nail which was stuffed full of plastic shopping bags. So I just had to find a free sewing pattern to make one for myself. I made several for friends who lived out of state, then the very last one I made for myself. If you look closely at the photo, you might find the mistake that I made. The palm trees are upside down, I had sewn the hanging loop on the wrong end of the bag and it was too much work to correct the mistake. I hang my plastic bag holder on a hook leading down to our basement. Now whenever I need a trash bag, I know where to find one.

This pattern was created by Diane DeArmond

By MCW from NY

Link: http://www.quilt.com/UserPublishing/BagHolder.html

Thanks for the great idea. I'm a garage sell fanatic myself, just goes to show you can come away from one with more than just a great bargain..

I saw one of those for sale at a store that sells for 10.99.....being a frugal person I went home and made one with scrap material to coordinate with my kitchen colors. I made it in about 15 minutes and now the children know "EXACTLY" where bags. So long to a messy pantry!

I made them also. But I used hand towels, dish towels what ever size you would want. Just sew up the side seams and put elastic at the bottom end, a draw string at the top or more elastic add a hanging cord. They make great little gifts.The cost is cheap, some stores sell a pack of 5 towels for $5.00. Add a set of potholders and matching dish towels and dish cloth, and what a even greater gift.They wash and dry great also. Just throw them in with the towels. Enjoy.

Hugs Kisses, and Teddy Bears

If you use bandanas to make these you won't have any raw edges. The bandana measures exactly the right size and you can cut a strip from the edge of another one for the "handle". Use 1/4 inch elastic for the top and bottom oprnings.

November 30, 2009 Flag

Make a plastic shopping bag holder from a shirt sleeve. This one was my mom's (gee! she would be so proud of me!)

From other items of her clothing, I cut designs and stitched them on. I used part of the blouse for the hanger cord and attached it with 2 mini fabric yoyo's. (Near the bottom you can see it is a sleeve).

Now we have even more fond memories in the kitchen of mom. Thanks Mom!

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

I made this earlier this summer & forgot about it being a simple craft! Thanks for reminding me! It was my mom's old blouse. I used other items of hers & cut applique' & hand stitched it on. Another piece of the blouse for the hang cord & 2 mini fabric yoyos holding the cord.

Hi Loretta,

I use cotton dolls and add material to them. I sent in the "bag lady" directions awhile back. These are so welcome by everyone!

We did a similar thing with a pants leg from a pair of jeans that lost their bottom around the pockets. We actually split the pants in half, used a rope through the belt loops to sinch the top together and hang it by. Used a thick rubber band around the bottom. We load the bags through the hole in the top side where half the zipper is and we pull bags out through the bottom one at a time as needed. The rubber band gives a little bit which makes the bags come out fairly well.

November 16, 2007 Flag

To organize your plastic bags, try making a plastic bag dispenser. With the plastic bag dispenser, you can now store your plastic bags nicely.

A Plastic Bag Dispenser

October 4, 2006 Flag

Making a Plastic Grocery Bag Holder. I found a stretchy short sleeve shirt with 3 buttons at neckline that was stained and planned to throw out as material not good for cleaning. . .

September 23, 2010 Flag

Take a piece of flexible aluminum dryer vent duct and make sure you put something on the edges like duct tape as it may be sharp. Cut it about 38 inches or how long you want it to be, curl it so it makes 1/2 of a circle, and stuff your store bags in it.

February 15, 2011 Flag

A sleeve that zips out of a jacket makes a good plastic bag dispenser.

November 30, 2009 Flag

I know these have been made before, but I have not seen them here. This is a bag holder, for, in this case, grocery size bags, which we reuse in our small trash containers throughout the house. We are aware of the push to go "green" but that is quite expensive, and not in our income ability at this time. We do have need of liners for the small trash cans, and our rural garbage carrier asks that the trash, is put in bags for their convenience in loading.

These are made of scraps of fabric, or can be made of worn out pants legs, or sleeves, use your imagination.

Close a seam down the side, and enclose the top with an opening on each end to run a tie through for attaching over a hook on the back of a door, or a hook in a closet. Put a strip of elastic on the bottom, drawing it just tight enough so that the size bags you are using can be pulled through, but do not fall out easily. When you stitch the hem up over the elastic, make sure you secure each end to the tightness you want.

We have these in the garage for reusing large leaf bags, and the uses are endless. Hope you enjoy making, even sharing them.

By Loretta from Theodore, AL

Crafts OtherJanuary 25, 2013
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Wood Knife Holder
Making a Kitchen Knife Holder
CD Candle Holder
Making a CD Candle Holder
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
🎉
🎄