Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making a Plastic Bag Holder

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Making a Plastic Bag Holder

Rather than buy a plastic bag holder for your recycled bags, make one. This is a guide about making a plastic bag holder.

Solutions: Making a Plastic Bag Holder

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Doll Plastic Bag Holder

Take an old doll and recycle into a cute plastic bag holder. Doll holder with flowered dress.

Approximate Time: one hour

• doll
  • scrap material
  • 12 inches of elastic
  • one plastic ring or a piece of string or yarn

Instructions:

1. To the doll dress hem, add enough material to make the length from the shoulder of the doll to the new hem twenty-seven inches long. (I do not remove the doll legs.)
  2. Three inches from the bottom hem, add one inch of seam binding. This is where you can really get creative by making your own contrasting binding. Sometimes I put the seam binding on the outside, other times on the inside. Insert the elastic.
  3. To the head of the doll (generally they have a hat), hand sew a round plastic ring or add a piece of yarn to hang the doll.

I have the dolls on several doors in the house. It makes it so easy to always have a plastic bag when you need one.

I have been able to find dolls with themes to give to match my friends hobbies and personalities. We all know the joy in making is as much fun as the giving.

By Tedebear from San Jose, CA Several finished dolls.

Tip: Sleeve as Bag Dispenser

A sleeve that zips out of a jacket makes a good plastic bag dispenser.

By Marjae from Kingston, NY

Tip: Make Plastic Bag Holder From Dryer Vent Tubing

Take a piece of flexible aluminum dryer vent duct and make sure you put something on the edges like duct tape as it may be sharp. Cut it about 38 inches or how long you want it to be, curl it so it makes 1/2 of a circle, and stuff your store bags in it. It holds quite a few. My brother thought of this idea and I thought it was wonderful, he keeps it in his pantry.

By Diana from Highland, MI

Tip: Craft: Plastic Bag Holder

Plastic Bag HolderMake a plastic shopping bag holder from a shirt sleeve. This one was my mom's (gee! she would be so proud of me!)

From other items of her clothing, I cut designs and stitched them on. I used part of the blouse for the hanger cord and attached it with 2 mini fabric yoyo's. (Near the bottom you can see it is a sleeve).

Now we have even more fond memories in the kitchen of mom. Thanks Mom!

By melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

Tip: A Plastic Bag Dispenser

A Plastic Bag DispenserTo organize your plastic bags, try making a plastic bag dispenser. With the plastic bag dispenser, you can now store your plastic bags nicely. Simply fold each plastic bag and drop it into the dispenser and retrieve it at the bottom of the box when you need it.

Materials

• A tissue box
  • Wrapping papers
  • Glue
  • Scissors
  • Ribbon or decorative materials
Make an opening on one side of the tissue box for you to drop in your plastic bags. Cut a rectangular opening at the bottom of the tissue box for you to retrieve a plastic bag. Wrap the tissue box with coloured or wrapping paper. Tie a nice little ribbon to decorate the box. Print the words "Plastic Bag Dispenser" and paste it on the box. Punch a hole at the side of the dispenser and thread a nice ribbon into the holes and tie a knot at the top. Now your plastic bag dispenser is ready for use.

By Jasmine from Singapore

Plastic Bag Holder

A woven plastic bag holder.Oh, how I enjoy shopping for bargains. During the warmer months, DH and I love to go to all kinds of garage sales. At one of the sales, I saw something hanging on a nail which was stuffed full of plastic shopping bags. So I just had to find a free sewing pattern to make one for myself. I made several for friends who lived out of state, then the very last one I made for myself. If you look closely at the photo, you might find the mistake that I made. The palm trees are upside down, I had sewn the hanging loop on the wrong end of the bag and it was too much work to correct the mistake. I hang my plastic bag holder on a hook leading down to our basement. Now whenever I need a trash bag, I know where to find one.

This pattern was created by Diane DeArmond

By MCW from NY

View This Page

This page is not on ThriftyFun, but we had to share it. Be sure to come back and rate it.

Tip: Making a Plastic Grocery Bag Holder

I found a stretchy short sleeve shirt with 3 buttons at neckline that was stained and planned to throw out as material not good for cleaning. I turned it inside out, stitched across the bottom and then put the plastic grocery store bags inside. I placed it on clothes hanger. it looks good, more stable than plastic in plastic and holds many more than the ones you can buy for several dollars. Now I'm looking for a smaller one for small plastic bags, such as bread and produce.

By Annette from Lewiston, Maine

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Craft: Plastic Bag Holder

***

Craft: Plastic Bag Holder
*** I know these have been made before, but I have not seen them here. This is a bag holder, for, in this case, grocery size bags, which we reuse in our small trash containers throughout the house. We are aware of the push to go "green" but that is quite expensive, and not in our income ability at this time. We do have need of liners for the small trash cans, and our rural garbage carrier asks that the trash, is put in bags for their convenience in loading.

These are made of scraps of fabric, or can be made of worn out pants legs, or sleeves, use your imagination.

Close a seam down the side, and enclose the top with an opening on each end to run a tie through for attaching over a hook on the back of a door, or a hook in a closet. Put a strip of elastic on the bottom, drawing it just tight enough so that the size bags you are using can be pulled through, but do not fall out easily. When you stitch the hem up over the elastic, make sure you secure each end to the tightness you want.

We have these in the garage for reusing large leaf bags, and the uses are endless. Hope you enjoy making, even sharing them.

By Loretta from Theodore, AL