Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making a Privacy Screen

A privacy screen can be a decorative room divider or something that you use outside to create a more private setting. This is a guide about making a privacy screen.

February 16, 2010 Flag

I often work in my garage on crafts and upcycling kinds of projects. Unfortunately I don't always want my neighbors to be looking at me or seeing my mess. The solution I came across is a privacy screen made out of standard fence boards. I used 4 or 5 boards held together by cross bracing with 2x4 or other wood, and standard L- shaped book shelf brackets on each side to allow it to stand on its own.

This size is light enough for me to move on my own and short enough to be left in place so I still have adequate ventilation in my garage workshop. In this photo you can see the salvaged room divider screen I initially found for the same purpose.

By Katt from Orange, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Very creative!

September 22, 2008 Flag

You can use this screen for privacy or just for daily inspiration. It does take some time because of its size, but well worth the time invested. If you are artistic, make your own canvas frames and hinge them together. If not, buy the large canvases and hinge them together. Look for sales at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

Approximate Time The size makes this take more time.

Instructions:

1. Join your canvases together with the hinges. If you are using three canvases, be sure to flip the hinges over on the third panel so it will fold the other direction.
  2. Draw out your "stones". Open out the panels to make sure your stones line up. Using a putting knife spread the tile grout on each "stone". Let dry overnight.
  3. Paint stones and let dry.
  4. Come back and fill in "grout" lines. Lines should be recessed between the tile grout.
  5. Paint your scene on the top, making sure to go all the way over the edges.
  6. Optional - glue on your "ball feet" on each corner of each canvas.
  7. Optional - staple fabric on back of each canvas.

By Artlady from Edmond, OK

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That is wow double wow. Man do you have talent you could sale that and make some money. I am not lying that is beautiful. You my dear are blessed.

September 29, 2015 Flag

If you need to section off part of a room but can't find a suitable screen, buy a clothes rail and add curtains. You can even use tab top ones to minimise labour. You'll get a screen that tones with your room, and one that you can update as necessary. And if you need a screen that will exclude draughts, consider hanging a quilt from your clothes rail.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts MiscellaneousJuly 28, 2013
Cat scratching at a screen door.
Keeping Cats from Scratching Screen Doors
A person cleaning a flat screen monitor with a cloth.
Cleaning a Flat Screen Monitor
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
House Surround by Plants
Adding Privacy With Plants
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 19, 2017 at 8:18:11 PM on 10.0.1.148 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.