Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I have a large number of ties that belonged to my late husband. I would like to make a quilt with them but need some help and suggestions on how to get started.

Vicikie

Answers:

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I have made skirts from ties as well as scrap quilts. A circular mandala type or fan pattern on a plain ground would give max impact. To get the most coverage from the ties pick them apart and then interface them (ties are cut on the bias and interfacing will make them manageable). I like to leave the tips intact so you can tell the're ties. Keep it simple - make it up as you go along - and have fun.
(05/24/2005)

By For a lark

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

Do you have enough ties to make a vest for yourself first? This would get you use to working with that type of fabric, before you venture into a quilt. As Lark has stated the bias fabric will need interfacing. I do believe you will enjoy your experience more if you get a wee bit of experience! You could embliseh a vest you already have by sewing the ties on the vest in a becoming pattern, that could be lots of fun, too. (05/24/2005)

By trashcrafter

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

An elderly lady friend taught me to STRIP QUILT. The strips are cut straight about (I'm guessing) 12" across and 3" down. She made beautiful throw pillows. After she sewed them together she embellished the strips with decorative braids, flat laces, and hand embroidered designs and edgings on some of the strips to fancy it up. Once this was done,turn the sewn together strips so that they are slanted and then cut the material to the size you want your pillow.This method can also be used for a quilt. It actually can be done pretty fast. She has quilts also that she'd made. One Christmas I made several pillows for gifts. I hope my instructions are pretty clear as it's been several years since I did this.Quilting is such a good pastime and if you have children or relatives of your husband they will appreciate the pillow for sentimental reasons. (05/24/2005)

By Sharon,Ky

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I saw somewhere on here recently to make ties into a purse as well. It was really cute. (05/25/2005)

By Donna

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I've heard you can make rugs out of ties, too. This would be great for gifts for your kids of Dad's ties. (05/25/2005)

By badwater

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I did a quilt years ago using ties. It was so easy! I used an embroidery sewing machine and used decorative stitches in bright colors to bring edges together. I butt the wide ends together to make a starburst (round) then quilted it onto a flat sheet. Then sewed the batting, matching flat sheet for backing, and applicated sheet together. Turned them right side out and sewed opening closed.SO EASY EVEN FOR A BEGINNER LIKE ME!

Another way is to alternate wide and thin ends, sew or embroider together the edges and cut into strips, and then sew intoblocks... looks great and so easy. They make great matching pillows to go with the quilt (can use up the ends from the starburst this way is well). (05/26/2005)

By mary p.

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I have seen them done as a large sunburst in the middle of the quilt and also in individual blocks in a fan shape. Just saw a tote bag made with ties and want to try one. Good luck! (06/02/2005)

By WolfeK

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I am in the process of making a quilt from using old ties, they are about 40 years old, I found a patern in a book called SUPER SIMPLE STRIPS by NANCY SMITH and LINDA MILLIGAN. I found this book at Jo-Anns. To me fabric is fabric, wherever it comes from its just a piece of fabric, so use your imagination and start cutting into the tie and start creating. You will be amazed at what you can come up with. (12/13/2005)

By sharilyn

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

There is a book called Daddy's Ties by Shirley Botsford with a good quilt pattern for using men's ties. (10/03/2006)

By Donna

Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

I am addicted to making tie quilts and tie off with yarn or floss to complete the "Tie" theme. I make 17" blocks with small print or solid fabric cut the ends of the tie at 16" and place three to a block of fabric then I strip between the blocks with 3" coordinate fabric. I make four rows of three across and poof you are done in no time. I have made totes out of ties as well that are fun too, like all the others say, have fun! (09/23/2007)

By Cat in AZ

Necktie keepsake quilt.
Making a Quilt With Neckties
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A business suit with a white shirt and red tie.
Saving Money on Men's Suits
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
🎉
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on December 8, 2016 at 5:51:03 PM on 10.0.0.42 in 950 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.