Making a Rainbow Cake

Category Cakes
Rainbow Cake Batter
It is not just the frosting that makes the cake; sometimes it is the creativity inside. This is a guide about making a rainbow cake.

My daughter and I wanted to make a fun cake for her birthday. I wanted there to be a hidden surprise when it was cut into, so I decided to transform a boxed cake mix into a rainbow cake!

• white boxed cake mix batter, prepared according to instructions
  • food coloring
  • small bowls
  • cake pans

Directions:

1. Mix your cake batter according to package instructions.
  2. Determine how many colors you want to use. Divide batter equally into that number of small bowls. Color each bowl of batter.
  3. Prepare cake pan with non-stick spray.
  4. Pour first colored batter into very center of the cake pan. Repeat by pouring next color directly into the center of the first color. As each new color is poured in, it will displace the colors added before it.

5. Bake according to package directions. Allow to cool and remove from the pan.
  6. If making a layer cake, remove the domed top and cut cake evenly in the middle to create two layers.
  7. Frost the top of the bottom layer and stack top layer. Frost entire cake and decorate as desired.

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA

This is a guide about making rainbow cakes in canning jars. These brightly colored cakes will delight your family and guests.

Rainbow cake with frosting, served in the mason jars.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Ingredients

• 1 Angel food cake (10 inch)
  • 1 package each strawberry, lime, and orange flavored gelatin
  • 1 package frozen strawberries, partially thawed (10 oz.)
  • Ad

• 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1 can mandarin segments, drained (10 oz.)
  • Vanilla ice cream

Directions

Cut or tear cake into small pieces; divide into thirds and place in medium bowls. Sprinkle strawberry gelatin over one bowl of cake, lime gelatin over another, and orange gelatin over the third. Toss each lightly with a fork until cake is well coated with gelatin. In a 10 inch tube pan, put strawberry pieces in bottom, spoon strawberries over cake. Spread 1/3 of the ice cream over the strawberries. Repeat layers with lime cake pieces, blueberries, then the ice cream, and last layer the orange cake pieces, the mandarin oranges and ice cream. Freeze until firm. Unmold on a chilled dessert plate.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Videos

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I just had to share my latest masterpiece with all of you. I am so proud of myself. I like to create birthday cakes. This is the birthday cake I made for my niece's 2nd birthday.

Rainbow Birthday Cake

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Photo Description
Our friend's got married over the summer and they had the coolest wedding cake! The colors were so vibrant. :)

Comment Like this photo? 1