Browsing: Making a Reusable Shopping Bag

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making a Reusable Shopping Bag

Reusable shopping bags are a common item as a part of today's waste reduction efforts. This is a guide about making a reusable shopping bag.

Making a Reusable Shopping Bag
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 10, 2012 Flag

I don't know about you but I hate having to unload 20 bags of groceries that only hold a few items each. seems like it takes forever to haul them all in. I love using my own handmade fabric grocery bags. I keep material that is from clothing or scraps from fabric and make my own shopping bags. This way I am using my resources instead of the plastic bags that end up in the dump. You can make original bags that are gorgeous or just plain bags.

I also love the versatility of them. It makes me very happy to put my recycled material bags on the conveyor belt at the grocery store before I unload the groceries. I always ask them to pack the bags full. Also I find it so much easier to handle the groceries once I get home and have to unload.

So don't pitch that material. Make up some one of a kind grocery bags for your next shopping trip. It will make your experience so much easier.

I also use handles from discarded items or ties from clothing to make the handles. It is a breeze just to sew it onto the inside of the bag once it is finished.

By gem from Gordonsville, VA

August 27, 2015 Flag

Enjoy this easy project and be ready for lots of compliments!

A finished collection of reinforced shopping bags.

• reusable shopping bag
  • two different materials
  • belt for shoulder strap
  • jean pocket (optional for inside of bag)
all the supplies you need for this project

1. Remove handles from bag and sew jeans pocket to inside of bag (optional)
  2. Lay bag on doubled fabric. Make sure to allow for side seams and add four inches to the top. This will be one long piece, not two!
  3. Sew one side seam right side of the fabric to the inside.
  4. Cut three strips of fabric (two of the print, one of the plain) 5 inches wide. You will hem BOTH sides until the strip is four inches wide. Length will be determined by how you pleat.
  5. Measure half the bottom of the bag and add four inches. This is where the fist row of pleats is placed. Sew the three rows on.
  6. Sew other side of the bag.
  7. Square the bottom of the bag. You will have two triangles to material to cut off.
  8. Sew fabric to the top of the bag.
  9. Attach belt as the shoulder strap. I like to use an old woven belt.

August 2, 2010 Flag

Here is a homemade reusable grocery bag with matching coupon holder. fabric grocery bag with contrasting straps

Approximate Time: 2 Hours

Instructions:

1. Cut out body of grocery bag: 23x15 inches.
    lining: 23x15 inches
    strap: 15x4 inches
    pocket (if desired) 5x5 inches square
  2. Lay out material and cut out body of bag. With contrasting material cut out lining and straps.
  3. Fold bag, right sides together, sew sides, at bottom of bag, sew corners, 1 inch, cut off access.
  4. Sew lining the same as the body of the bag.
  5. Fold the cut straps of contrasting material, in half, sew along one short end, and along side, turn right side out, press, sew other strap the same.
  6. Leaving body of bag wrong side out, insert into lining, making sure the seams are together.
  7. Insert straps, 5 inches from side of bag. Sew along top of bag, leaving 5 inch opening for turning.
  8. Turn bag, hand sew or machine sew the opening.
  9. The bag is now done.
  10. For the coupon holder

1. Using 1/2 yard of material, cut 23x20 inch piece of fabric, if desired, use contrasting material.
    2. Sew the front and back together, fold 1/4 way up the front of the piece.
    3. Sew each end, turn, sew up the middle of the pocket.
    4. You have 2 pockets for holding your coupons.
    coupon holder

By Barbara from Spring Hill, FL

April 21, 2009 Flag

This is a really simple project that requires no real pattern and once you feel comfortable, you can just cut freehand and "eyeball-it"

Crafts OtherSeptember 17, 2012
Golf Bag with Pool Cues in it
Uses for an Old Golf Bag
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Reusable Shopping Bag
Homemade Reusable Shopping Bags
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 9:12:51 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.