Making a Scarf

Category Scarves
Making a Scarf
There are so many techniques you can use to hand make a beautiful or funky scarf. This is a guide about making a scarf.

I have found that by braiding two winter scarves together seperating them into three ends hanging down (it will be uneven but no one will notice), that it is much warmer. I secured it with a fancy hair elastic. Even just a rubber band would do.

I have a bunch of winter scarves that seem more to be for decoration than for warmth, since they are so thin. I got tired of no one using them so I braided them for myself. I left the opening big enough to take off over my head without unbraiding it. I hang it on the wall and it is all ready for when I go out.

The first time I wore it I got lots of compliments.

By Robyn from Tennessee

You can find these large attractive plaid print fabrics at either fabric stores (of course) or Walmart and with only one yard of fabric, you can make a gorgeous and warm winter scarf! Just buy one yard of your chosen flannel fabric and get an inexpensive scarf pattern. It only involves sewing in a straight line. They look great with any coordinating coat, keep you warm on cold days and everyone thinks you purchased it new at the high end store at the mall. Unbeatable!

coatscarf.jpg

By Vanessa

I found a plaid, fleece scarf at the dollar store, but I felt it needed more fringe and a pop of color. Using some red yarn and red felt I had on hand, I added more fringe and made felt flower pins as embellishment. I now plan to give it as a Christmas gift.

Approximate Time: about 1 hour

Instructions:

For the fringe:

1. Cut a piece of cardboard to the finished length of the fringe. For a 3-inch fringe, cut a 3-inch wide piece of cardboard. Wrap the yarn around the cardboard about 12-14 times. Cut the yarn in a straight line across the yarn. Now you'll have several pieces of yarn that are double the length of the finished fringe.
  2. Thread the needle with a piece of the yarn and insert the needle near the edge of one end of the scarf.
  3. Pull yarn halfway through scarf and remove needle.
  4. Tie yarn into a knot to secure.
  5. Continue adding pieces of yarn to both ends of scarf until you achieve desired thickness of fringe.

To make a loopy felt flower:

1. Cut a 2 inch wide section of felt from a felt rectangle that is the length of the rectangle.
  2. Fold the felt in half lengthwise and glue the open end closed with a thin bead of glue.
  3. Cut 1/4 slits into the felt along the folded edge to create the petals. Be careful not to cut all the way through.
  4. Roll up the felt, gluing as you go, along the uncut side.
  5. If you wish to make a pin from the flower, glue a felt circle to the flower back and glue on a pin back.
  6. For another style of flower, create a flower from the instructions above and snip the loops to give it a different look.

To make a flat felt flower:

1. Download and print various flower templates from the internet.
  2. Place each template on the felt and cut around each pattern.
  3. Layer and glue each flower in the center.
  4. Glue on buttons for the center, if desired.
  5. Glue on a pin back.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

A few years ago I started making hats and scarves from the "fun" or "fur" yarn, which is quite expensive. I had made a lot of scarves and realized I had so much scraps that could not be used and had no idea how I could use them.

This is a guide about making a scarf for someone having chemo. Many cancer patients choose to wear a cap or scarf during treatment rather than a wig.

Chemo Patient Putting on Scarf

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about making a ribbon scarf. A quick and easy project that can be made for a young woman in a couple of hours.

Ribbon Scarf

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a scarf on a round loom. Knitting is much easier, especially for the novice, when using a loom. However, the process for making some projects may not seem as straight forward as when knitting in the more traditional way.

wool yarn

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about making a fleece scarf. A inexpensive, cozy wrap can be made with this material.

Woman wearing a fleece scarf.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

A creative reuse of this comfortable material, is making a scarf. This guide contains recycled t-shirt scarf ideas.

Recycled T-shirt Scarf

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about recycling sweaters into scarves. Rather than discarding your old sweaters, you can turn them into fun, unique scarves.

Recycle Sweaters into Scarves

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Christine Weber0 found this helpful

Create this luxurious accessory for a fraction of the cost of a store-bought scarf. Trimmed with silk flowers or beads, the end result is sheer bliss.

A velvet scarf displayed on a teddy bear.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

If you could help me with my scarf, I would appreciate it. I started my scarf and I have ran out of yarn. How do I attach more yarn to the end?

Erica from NY

No problem, take the end piece from your work and tie a square knot with the new piece (make sure to have about 6 inches from each piece) and continue on with the work. Later when you are done with your work you can then weave in the yarn. Pretty much no matter where tie on a new piece, it will blend in, unless you are doing a really tight and intricate piece, which I can't imagine you are doing since you seem to be a beginner.

Good luck! Hope it turns out great!

I prefer to tie in yarn at the edge. I always tied a knot, but have found a new way that I like better.

Use both the old and the new piece to work the first stitch and then on the next row, and what would now be the last stitch, work both loops/stitches as one stitch. Hope this helps and hope I've explained it clearly.

I often just run two pieces of yard together if it doesn't look like it will cause too much bulk. Otherwise, I pull out some stitches and go back to an edge and tie in there or run two threads form there.

I'm looking for instructions on how to sew fabric scarves that are cut on the bias and sewn in 5 layers. Cut then washed to fray. Thanks,

Mels from Canada

Look on the internet for instructions to make Chenelle....spelled wrong...but it is basically cutting 5 chunks of fabric and setting them on top of each other and sewing a diagonal line of stitching maybe 1/2" to 1" apart. Once all is sewn go back and cut between the stitching in the open rows but do not cut through the bottom layer...throw in the wash and all is done...Lois of CA.

I am looking for a picture of one...it sounds neat, but want to see what it looks like.

A new description came up with a ton of sites...

Go to Google and type in fabric slashing instructions..

There are lots to choose from now if I can only find the time.