Making a Shaggy Dog Out of Yarn

Category Miscellaneous
Shaggy Dog
Out of Yarn
This is a cute project you can make without knitting or crocheting with the right pattern and yarn. This is a guide about making a shaggy dog out of yarn.

Materials

• 1 4 oz. skein knitting worsted yarn (main color)
  • 1 4 oz. skein knitting worsted yarn (secondary color)
  • 3 pieces of wire, each 35 inches long (jewelry wire works)
  • Ad
  • Colored felt (red and white)
  • Buttons for eyes (or may use felt)
  • Ribbon

Equipment

• Scissors
  • Cardboard or plastic square, 3x3 inches
  • Long-nosed pliers

Instructions

Wrap yarn 30 times around the cardboard or plastic square. Remove the yarn from the square, tie the bunch in the middle and spread out loops to form puff. Wrap 16 puffs of secondary color. Wrap 36 puffs of main color.

Cut three pieces of wire, each 35 inches long, and bend each wire in half. Place one puff on the wire by threading it from the open end to the bend. Twist the wire behind the puff in order to secure the puff on the wire. Continue threading puffs on the wire, twisting the wire behind each puff.

First wire:

• Head: 5 puffs of main color.
  • Neck: 4 puffs of secondary color
  • Body: 6 puffs of main color.
Second wire (Front Legs):
  • Foot: 2 puffs of secondary color.
  • Leg: 12 puffs of main color
  • Foot: 2 puffs of secondary color.
Third wire (Hind legs):
  • Repeat as for second wire.
Clip excess wire and bend the ends into the puffs to avoid possibility of scratching. Separate puffs and place legs in appropriate places over first wire and sew or wind thread to secure in place. Bend wires to shape into dog.

Add eyes, ears, tongue, and ribbon as desired, in keeping with the colors of the dog.

Source: Occupational therapy department

By Har'iet from Lakewood, CA

One word...awesome! I love it when the directions are thorough! A couple pics of the body in pieces would have been cool. But what an awesome retro project!

Back in the early 80's we used wire coat hangers to shape and make yarn dogs. I don't have the pattern anymore so this new pattern was welcomed. Thank you.

I would like to know to get a copy of the Animal Bazaar pattern from the Coats and Clark book number Art J17 0713? Please help me. Thank you.

By Bonnie from Athol, ID

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Here's a pattern complete with pictures:

http://www.thri  6523514.tip.html

I found the exact picture at Amazon.com

Animal Bazaar 0713 Knit and Crochet at Amazon.com

a used book for about $4.00

If you buy it could you send the pattern to my email ???

I would really love to try it too.

I posted my request, for making shaggy dog from yarn. I've gotten great feedback, but it's not what I'm looking for. The one I'm looking for is from a pattern, and it's only yarn, no coat hangers, or nothing. It is made just by lying out a lot of yarn, and tying string to form the legs, and a ball for the head. The yarn is clipped for the bangs that cover the face down to the nose, and it's shaggy all over, a little longer than your hand. It is so cute!

Alice1950 from OH

Answers:

Making A Shaggy Dog Out Of Yarn

I did this with Dougal from Magic Roundabout. Using a stuffed material body, sausage shaped, I laid the stranded yarn across the body and back stitched it down the center, which made it look like Dougal's parting.

It also works for a long coated ram. Unless you mean just using yarn, this would require a lot of yarn, make as to do a doll's hair. (04/11/2008)

By Yvonne

Making A Shaggy Dog Out Of Yarn

I know what you are talking about. I have made these dogs in the past. You use a wire coat hanger and yarn. You bend your coat hanger in the shape of a dog. This is hard to explain; you bend it so that you have two hind legs (a upside down u in the back and two front legs the hook is your head.

This may take a little practice so have patience when bending your wire. Then take you yarn and a piece of card board about 3 inches wide. Wrap your yarn around the card board about 6 or 7 times. Being careful slip off the yarn and tie in the middle with another piece of yarn. Make your tie off long enough to tie to your wire hanger. Tie this to the wire form. It will take many, many of these to form your dog. As you tie these on you will see your dog take shape. You can use those wiggly eyes they have in the craft department just glue on. Good luck and I really wish I could find my pattern to copy and paste here, but as always, I can't find it when I need it. (04/11/2008)

By Madeline

Making A Shaggy Dog Out Of Yarn

I have a pattern and also photos of a dog that I use to have patients make when I worked as an occupational therapist. (Now retired) It may be what you are looking for. The dog is made by winding yarn around a cardboard/plastic 3 inch square and then that is tied tightly in the middle. When all the "puffs" are made, the puffs are put on wire (you can buy it inexpensively in Michaels. I believe it is 20 gauge, the thickest jewelry wire) and a twist is made between the puffs. I thought Shirley had put it on Yarn Lover's Room (knitting-crochet.com), but I could not find it to put the website here for people.

Anyone who is interested can email me through this site, with Yarn Dog in the subject so I don't delete it, and I will attach a picture and the pattern for you and send it to you.
Harriet (04/13/2008)

By Har'iet

Making A Shaggy Dog Out Of Yarn

etsy.com

I saw a picture of a shaggy dog made of yarn
at this link. It is from a pattern book put out by Red Heart in 1992.
It has instructions/patterns for 20 yarn-based crafts (None involve knitting or crocheting. They are made around pompoms and various wrapping methods.) The person owning this book has it for sale at the link. I will try to add the picture I saw below. (05/27/2008)

By carnation037

Making A Shaggy Dog Out Of Yarn

I found the pattern that you want. It is called Animal Bazzar and is in Coats and Crafts # Art J17 Book 0713. If you want I could copy it and send it to you. You can contact me through ThriftyFun. My name is Mary. (10/15/2009)

By moomoo52

Can you please send me direction on how to make the shaggy dog please and thank you.

I have been searching the Internet for directions to make the yarn dog show above and am at my wits end. I find many other directions, but not for this particular one.

Please help me to find this or let me know if you have the directions. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Deb

I need the pattern for a yarn dog from Coats & Clark.

By Bonnie from Ada, OH

Does anyone have pattern for yarn dog, without wire or other materials except eyes, nose, and tongue?

By Martha

Answers: