Making a Shower Wrap from a Bath Towel

Can anyone that sews tell me how to make a woman's bath shower wrap using a bath towel? I have even seen them where they put shoulder straps on them using ribbon or material of your choice. How do you figure the measurements for individual women and the instructions for making these? I am making them for my family, but I forgot a lot of the details after seeing only one for the first time. God bless you all for the great help.

Kay from Clyde, TX

Answers:

Making a Shower Wrap from a Bath Towel

It depends upon the size of the person who's going to wear it, and measurements must be taken so you know what size towel to buy. You will need either the towel that fits almost perfectly around the person just under the arms, or terrycloth fabric to fit. Most towels are really too thick, I think, but thinner ones can be found. Basically, it's only a wrap, not a

cover-up for walking around too much. It has elastic behind the upper edge to give it slight fullness over the breast area. It can have either Velcro to overlap the ends to close it or you can button/buttonhole it, or you can make ribbon loops and larger buttons.

The ribbon is trimmed around the bottom edge and up the overlapping end, along with straps double thick for the shoulders, but must be spaced just right. It's simple, but catchy to get the fit just right. Best to have your person nearby to measure from as you go.

The Bathsheet is longer for a taller and/or larger person. The towels have most edges already finished, otherwise, if using terry fabric, one must hem all the edges which don't look too good.

I used to bind my edges in satin-finished bias tape. One can scallop the bottom edge and up the overlapping edge, which looks really good if done well and not too sharp on the curves. Then I used button holes and medium buttons on each outer scallop. Good luck and God bless you. (03/07/2007)

By Lynda