Making a Simple Weather Vane

Category Decorations
Windsock
It's nice to know which way the wind is blowing before you go outside. This guide is about making a simple weather vane.

I grew up with a weather vane and paid a lot of attention to which direction the wind was blowing from. I have missed that old weather vane and have always wanted one.

I was cleaning out a closet and ran across a skirt hanger with a hook that turns. An idea popped into my head. I took my little Christmas flag and used the hanger to hang the flag on a limb in our pecan tree. To keep the flag from rocking, I tied the hook to the limb. To keep the flag from slipping out of the hooks, I put a piece of rubber shelf liner over the flag under the hooks.

It works great. The flag turns easily as the wind changes. Not only can I tell which direction the wind is blowing from, I can see how windy it is outside. It is in view of my kitchen window where I spend a lot of time watching the birds at the feeder and of course doing other kitchen stuff.

The flag has been hanging for over a month and I have had no problems with it. Works for me.

We are getting snow again and this one might be a rough ride as sleet and freezing rain are in the forecast for tomorrow. The wind is brisk and in the east just like the weatherman predicted. I'm prepared for a power outage.