Making a Terracotta Pot Candle Heater

Category Miscellaneous
Terracotta Pots
A few terracotta flower pots and a candle in a glass jar can be used to construct a small space heater. This is a guide about making a terracotta pot candle heater.

I saw a great idea on the web for a heater made out of several terracotta flower pots nested inside of each other, upside down, over a candle in a glass. Apparently, the heat is caught in the terracotta and then radiates out. I can almost figure out how to nest the pots, etc. But the one I saw had a steel tripod to hold up the pots over the candle - Any idea how I could something like that?

Pam from Los Angeles

Best Answer

http://www.rv-n  rstory.cfm?ID=11

this is what I found on it... Sounds REALLY intriguing and I will probably make one/two myself just to see what they can do!

Post the web site so we can see the original. This will give us a better idea of what you're talking about. I'm wondering if they used "Sterno" (instead of a candle) because a "regular" candle would put out WAY to much carbon, which would eventually COVER the tera-cotta planters in an ugly black soot.

An absolutely fantastic idea. Following the links, there's a page that shows how to use an electric light instead of the candle for heat. If anyone can think of how to make a stand, please post--I'd like to make one too. For the price, I'm tempted to buy one. It would pay for itself with the price of heating this winter. Thanks for posting.

I am not sure on how to make the stand but seems to me it would work even better if you drilled a hole in the center of the pot and ran a steel dowel/pipe down to just above the flame. The heat would radiate up the steel into the pot better than just trapping the heat!