Browsing: Making a Terracotta Pot Candle Heater

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making a Terracotta Pot Candle Heater

A few terracotta flower pots and a candle in a glass jar can be used to construct a small space heater. This is a guide about making a terracotta pot candle heater.

Terracotta Pots

February 8, 2008 Flag

I saw a great idea on the web for a heater made out of several terracotta flower pots nested inside of each other, upside down, over a candle in a glass. Apparently, the heat is caught in the terracotta and then radiates out. I can almost figure out how to nest the pots, etc. But the one I saw had a steel tripod to hold up the pots over the candle - Any idea how I could something like that?

Pam from Los Angeles

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

http://www.rv-news.com/newrvnews/past_coverstory.cfm?ID=11

this is what I found on it... Sounds REALLY intriguing and I will probably make one/two myself just to see what they can do!

Post the web site so we can see the original. This will give us a better idea of what you're talking about. I'm wondering if they used "Sterno" (instead of a candle) because a "regular" candle would put out WAY to much carbon, which would eventually COVER the tera-cotta planters in an ugly black soot.

An absolutely fantastic idea. Following the links, there's a page that shows how to use an electric light instead of the candle for heat. If anyone can think of how to make a stand, please post--I'd like to make one too. For the price, I'm tempted to buy one. It would pay for itself with the price of heating this winter. Thanks for posting.

I am not sure on how to make the stand but seems to me it would work even better if you drilled a hole in the center of the pot and ran a steel dowel/pipe down to just above the flame. The heat would radiate up the steel into the pot better than just trapping the heat!

Crafts MiscellaneousMay 24, 2013
Car Radiator
Troubleshooting Car Heater Problems
Cleaning a Water Heater
Cleaning a Water Heater
Water Heater
Does My Water Heater Need To Be Replaced?
Maintaining Your Water Heater
Maintaining Your Water Heater
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 12:15:16 PM on 10.0.0.24 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.