Making a Textured Half Shell Cowl
Use the nicely textured half shell stitch to create a warm, comfy cowl. This is a guide about making a textured half shell cowl
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Cowls are quite popular nowadays. This particular pattern passed the test with my "tween", so I figured it must not be half bad! I used a simple, yet pretty textured stitch to give it some substance.
It is crocheted in good ol' Red Heart Super Saver. Gotta love that stuff! This is a nice and easy repetitive stitch that you can do while still talking or watching television. In other words, those around you won't hear Shhhhh! too many times when you're working on this one.
You may wear this scarf down, but I have to say I prefer it looped around the neck twice. Warmer and sassier that way!
Have fun! :)
Total Time: About 3 hours
- "J" crochet hook
- 300 yards #4 worsted weight yarn
- embroidery needle for weaving in ends
- Chain 24.
- 2dc in 3rd ch from hk, *skip 2, (1sc, 2 dc) in next,* repeat between * till you have 3 ch left, skip 2, 1 sc in last.
- Ch 2, turn, 2dc in same space as ch2, *skip 2dc, 1sc, 2dc in next sc,* repeat between * till you have 3 left, skip 2dc, sc in last space between ch and dc's, see?
- Now you have 2 rows done! :)
- Repeat last row till you have about 33 1/2". I decided to finish black off and attach "charcoal" for the rest. You may continue in the same color if you like.
- Now that you have joined with a slip stitch where you just ended, simply ch 2, turn, and continue with the same pattern.
- I crocheted with charcoal until it was about 21" long before stopping. You may add as many colors as you like or leave one. As long as your scarf is around 54 1/2" total length, it will be perfect for an older child or adult! :)
- Do not finish off your end yet. You will need this to stitch your scarf ends together.
- Chain 1, line up the ends of your scarf.
- Now you will turn your scarf "sandwich" completely around so that you may now sc the ends together.
- Working through "bot" layers, work 21 sc until the end. Finish off and weave in ends. See your seam?
- This will disappear when right side out!
- Your colors will blend seamlessly.
- See your nice texture?
- You may wear down....
- Or wrapped twice around your neck.
- Just wear it, cuz' baby it's "cold" outside!
February 25, 20150 found this helpful
Learn how to make this crocheted cowl with this short step by step video.
In These Guides