Making a Wheelchair Lapghan

Category Afghans
woman in wheelchair with afghan
When mobility is assisted by a wheelchair, a cozy gift can be a perfectly sized blanket to help keep the occupant warm. This is a guide about making a wheelchair lapghan.

Skill Level: Beginner

Materials:

• Red Heart Super Saver yarn:
    1 skein (7 oz) Aran
    1 skein (7 oz) cafe
    2 skeins (5 oz each) shaded browns
  • Ad
  • G, H, I, J, or K hook, your choice depending on yarn used and tightness of stitch desired

Pattern:

4 rows cafe, 2 rows Aran, 2 rows shaded browns, 2 rows Aran. Finish with 4 rows cafe.

Body:

Row 1: With cafe, ch 84. Dc in 4th ch from hook, sk next 2 chs, sc in next ch, [ch 2, dc in same ch as sc, sk next 2 chs, sc in next ch] rep across, turn.

Row 2: Ch 2, dc in same st as beg ch-2, sc in ch-2 sp, [ch 2, dc in same sp, sc in next ch-2 sp] rep across.

Rows 3-4: Rep row 2, change to Aran in last sc, turn.

Rows 5-6: Rep row 2, at end of row 6 change to shaded browns, turn.

Rows 7-8: Rep row 2, at end of row 6 change to Aran, turn.

Rows 9-10: Rep row 2, at end of row 6 change to cafe, turn.

Rep rows 1-10 for 90 rows total.

Rows 91-94: With cafe, rep row 2. Fasten off.

Bottom Insert: With Aran, ch 28, rep pattern for body until 30 rows have been worked ending with 4 rows cafe. Fasten off.

Center first row of insert to first row of bottom of body; pin in place. Bring remainder of first row around sides of insert; pin in place and sew.

Edging:

RND 1: (WS) Attach cafe, work around in pattern, around entire piece, join in beg sc, turn.

RND 2: (RS) Work in pattern around, join in beg sc. Fasten off.

Ties:

(Make 2) These ties will enable user to tie the lapghan to the bars on the wheel chair to prevent it from sliding off onto the floor. With cafe, ch 101, sl st in sc ch from hook, sl st in each rem ch across. Fasten off.

Tie knot in each end.

Fold tie in half; pull fold through loop 5 patterns from side and 2nd row from top; pull ends through lp and pull tight.

Source: I am making this for a friend with cerebral palsy

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I can't wait to make some of these! Thanks so much. I figure these will make great gifts for our vets and what a great way of saying thanks for all you did for our country!

This was crocheted using Super Saver yarn and a size H hook. It uses 2 colors: one solid, one matching variegated. Works up very quickly and is warm without being heavy. This was made for a friend with cerebral palsy.

Approximate Time: About 14 hours

Instructions:

Row 1: With MC, ch 101. Dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch across (99 dc).

Row 2: Dc in first 3 dc, *ch 1, skip next dc, dc in each of next 3 dc*, rep from * to * across. Turn.

Row 3: Dc in each st and space across. Join CC. Turn.

Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first dc, *post tr around the post of next corresponding dc 2 rows below, skip dc behind tr just made, sc in each of next 3 dc in current row, *, rep from * to * across ending with sc in last dc. Turn.

Row 5: Dc in first sc, *ch 1, skip next st, dc in next sc*, rep from * to * across. Join MC. Turn.

Row 6: Dc in first dc, dc in next space, 2 dc in each space across, ec in last dc. Turn.

Repeat rows 2-6 until lapghan measures the length you want, ending with row 3 of pattern. Fasten off.

Border: Ch 1, sc evenly around, working 3 sc in each corner, sl st in first sc to join.

Weave in ends.

Source: This pattern comes from Crochet Fantasy Afghans magazine, February 1999, #5. The pattern makes into a full size afghan, but I made it smaller to fit on a wheel chair.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

I love the afghan and the colors. Is the magazine still available to purchase? Thanks.

Hello, My name is Lois Johnson and I live in Rimrock, Arizona.

I am gathering a group of crocheters and knitters to help make lapghans for our local veteran's hospital and facility.

If they can't crochet, I'll teach them. (I'll need to find a teacher for knitting.) Quilts would be perfect for this application.

If they want to just make granny squares (in the recommended sizes), I will tidy ends, block, sew together and put on an edging.

If they don't have scrap yarn, I will give them a bag.

If they only want to donate money for supplies or donate the supplies, well, God bless their little pea pickin' hearts.

If they'd rather make the whole thing themselves, I'll not be able to thank them enough. The size will need to be 36-40x48-50 and be fully washable.

When the veteran is released, the lapghan goes with them along with a lot of love. These will not be for sale. They will be packaged with lots of love woven into them and a big 'Thank you for your service' on a specially made sew-in tag.

Whew now the question for the owner of this site's crochet patterns. May I use them unknown number of times? If you'd like some pictures of the completed lapghans, I can make that happen.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my request.

Lois Johnson

LadyValk@gmail.com

What size should a lapghan or wheelchair afghan be?

By Susan from Suffern, NY

For a comfortable fit, it's best to know if the person is long legged or short and has a thin or wide build. I've made some for various people and always go by that. You don't want it to drag the floor and get caught up in the wheels or have the edges brush against the wheels either to get easily soiled.

A good size is a basic 4' by 4' square. This is perfect for a giant granny square, but also easy when you want to make 16 1' squares, too. Or, you simply start the row at 4' and keep going till it's another 4' and then make a nice border. If someone is small or in a wheel chair, try a 3' by 3' piece of cloth, and if it's the perfect size, make it like that. If someone wants to cover more of their legs and less of their laps, you can also make it oblong, say 3' by 4'. Good luck!

Here's the google link.

http://www.goog … 4db05700009e71d0

I have a pattern book that's right up your alley! But wouldn't you know I can't find it right now? Anyway, an average lapghan is approximately 36" x 40". Wheel chair afghans are usually a bit smaller. I made one this past Christmas for a firend and he loves his. I made it about 36 x 42.

Here is a link to the book I have. It's really great.

http://www.witt … s/prod_1364.html

One thing about making for a wheel chair though. Since my friend has cerebral palsy and therefore doesn't have use of his arms or hands as well as his legs, I made ties to go on the top two corners so that his caretaker can tie it to the chair so it doesn't constantly slip off. I also put ties on the bottom two corners to be tied to the bars that the foot rests are on. This prevents it from getting caught up in the wheels or dragging the ground. This tip isn't in the book or any pattern I've found.

I also crocheted him a hat and scarf to match his afghan. He absolutely loves the set!

Try Annies Attic for patterns. But the other suggestions were perfect. I am in a wheelchair long legged and queen size. So there is no magic size.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I've made it a habit of taking digital photos of all my completed projects during the year. Starting in Jan. - Dec. 2009, I crocheted 3 afghans and 5 wheelchair lapghans for veterans at our local V.A. Hospital.

Here is another lapghan that I just finished a few days ago for the V.A. Hospital. This is a great way of using up leftover spare yarn.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

colorful lapghan

Comment Like this photo? 12

I neglected to mention that a Size 6 or G crochet hook was used. This was given as a gift to one of the male residents.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

That is awesome! I love the variety of colors and designs.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

That is such a thoughtful gift! I love it!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Just beautiful! You're so kind, thoughtful, and do outstanding work; keep it up!

Debbie

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I was wondering if you would be so kind as to share the pattern with me? I believe you can message me on here. Thank you so much and keep up the good work, I only wish i would have thought of this when my Grandmother was still alive.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a thoughtful neighbor.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Could you please send me the pattern for your lapghan. I make them to, but I make mine just for a lap- 32"' Square. Would like to try your version of the granny square and add ties- never thought of that. Thanks

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This is so pretty. I have to master crochet yet. I can only do the basic single and double stitch. nothing else turns out right. I'd love to learn to do a granny square but I need to be shown how to do it, the symbols in the instructions confuse me until I get the ang of it.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I have this same picture in a pattern magazine.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This is beautiful! You are very talented! And how generous of you to give it away!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Craft: Granny Square Wheelchair Lapghan

Here is my second wheelchair lapghan I just finished. The approximate measurements are 36 inches wide by 48 inches long. Both 30 inch cords can be removed before washing. This also was another one of my creations, and didn't follow any pattern.

I saw my neighbor out in his wheelchair early this afternoon. I asked if he would stop over so I could estimate and see if I made it long enough. The only thing left to do was to crochet the scalloped edging and make the two ties.

The first wheelchair lapghan was all hand sewn, and this one I crocheted all the squares together.

He told me that my timing was perfect since he's leaving on a camping trip tomorrow and will definitely use it to stay warm at night.

I always attach a tag with the washing instructions.

Crochet Hook - Size G

Source: My Own Pattern

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Craft: Granny Square Wheelchair Lapghan

We live in a very large apartment complex and two male residents have to use wheelchairs. I just finished this lapghan the other night and have started on a second one.

The approximate measurements are 36 inches wide by 48 inches long. I made two removable 30 inch long cords so the lapghan can be tied to the back of the wheelchair if so desired.

I didn't follow a pattern, this is my own creation.

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Answers: