Making a Window Valance

Category Decorations
Window Valance
There are a variety of ways to attractively decorate the tops of your windows. This guide is about making a window valance.

I purchased a long metal wall art piece when a local store was going out of business. It looked like ivy on tree branches and I was looking for a good place for it. When I held it up to the top of the window, I knew I had found it a home. Really looked nice. I have gotten a lot of comments and some have said they would never have thought to use it in that way.

By Wanda from Climax, NC

I took a dust ruffle from a bed and cut it lengthwise first for the length of the window. I had 2 windows side by side. I left enough of the white part of the sheet to make into tabs because I don't sew. I made the white into 8 inch strips above the pretty ruffle then just tied it in a bow on the rod.

By Joyceann from Danvers, MA

I don't care for curtains, so I came up with this solution for a valance above my sliding glass doors. I purchased 2, 5-foot artist canvas stretchers and 2, 1-foot stretchers to form a rectangle. Then I purchased 5, 1/2 feet of coordinating fabric to match my living room. There are so many choices for the fabric, you may have a hard time deciding.

Lay the fabric down with the print side out and place the frame on top of the fabric, then pull the fabric around the stretchers and staple with a staple gun pulling taunt as you staple it. Cut off excess fabric. Hang it just above the sliding glass doors and you're done!

I'm sure this could be done for just about any window in the house. Just measure the window to know what size stretchers you need. If you are handy, you can purchase 1x2s at a home store and make your own frames. The wonderful thing about this project is that when you get bored of the fabric or change your decor, just remove the old fabric, find a new use for it, and staple on your new fabric find!

By Ramona from Ocala, FL

While I was washing my kitchen curtain, I decided to experiment. I layered three cloth napkins, that match my kitchen wallpaper, on my curtain rod for a new look. An inexpensive alternative for a curtain.

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

I thought of this cute idea for a kitchen or bathroom valance. I am using dinner cloth napkins and will fold them into triangle shapes and simply put them over any rod to make a great valance. I found some with a little fringe. Love the idea! Try it! It will be good to fold over and iron a crease for the rod and then tack in place with a stitch or two-or use iron-on hem tape.

A triangular shape valance, easy and cool!

By Diann from Staten Island, NY

To make quick and cheap curtain valances take a dust ruffle from a bed and remove the lower ruffle, flip down about 2-3 inches along the top cut side and sew it down on the machine. The rest of the curtain will already have a nice finished edge. Just hang up on curtain rod like you normally would.

By Melanie

I need an easy pattern and measuring instructions for valances (balloon or plain). I want to makes some for my bedrooms and for the living room, ND maybe the stairwell window. I am a very novice sewer, haven't done a project in 12 years!

Thanks!
camo_angels from Willamina, OR

Im glad you asked this I'm sure alot of us would like to know this...

Im not a sewer at all, I have a sewing machine for rips and tears.. in

fact I forgot I had it. In my house if a shirt loses a button the shirt is

no good. :) So I would need a super easy pattern.

I have seen design examples where they used colorful napkins placed on the curtain rod as a valance of sorts - no sewing required. I would also suggest using a swag of material across the top of the curtain - you would just have to put up the supports at the corners. Again, practially no sewing required.

The valances I have seen on the market are just big ruffles. I am sure you could just make a piece, put in some elastic in a tube and scrunch it together for a simple valance of sorts.

Use twin sized flat sheets. Depending on how wide the windows are, you may want to cut the sheet legnthwise as opposed to widthwise. The advantage to cutting the width of the sheet is that you really don't have to make a side seam. Decide how long you want the valence, double it and add about 5" for seams and a top ruffle before cutting the sheet - if you use wider than a standard rod, you'll have to add a few more inches to the strip you cut. If you need to make side seams, this is when to do it. Then fold the strip in half, right sides together, and sew a seam about 1/2" from the open edge. Then turn it right side out and iron it flat. Make two seams about 1 1/2" apart to accomodate a standard rod. If you make the higher seam about 1" from the top , it makes a bit of a ruffle when it's on the rod.

If you'd like to be a bit fancier, try this site: http://www.alte  ve-windows.com/. They're a bit more detailed.

Thanky you! I like the Sheets idea....a little less expensive on the fabric.

This may help you:

Here are a few more pages to help measure for windows:

Measuring for valances:

http://www.prio  ance-sp-923.html

Measuring for draperies:

http://www.prio  uide-sp-201.html

Measuring for fabric shades:

http://www.prio  ades-sp-925.html

Hope that helps.