Making a Wine Cork Trivet

Trivet (hot pad) made from wine corks inside metal hoop
Wine corks are often used in making handcrafted trivets. This is a guide about making a wine cork trivet.

You can make a nice trivet or two from wine corks. You can also make coasters out of them.

By Karen H. from Pawtucket, RI

I am looking to purchase wooden trivets to fill with my corks. Does anyone know where to get them?

Sharon from Malvern, PA

Best Answer

Try using embroidery hoops. They come in several sizes, so that gives you a lot of choice. Some are even small enough to use for coasters. I'm guessing you intend to cut the cork down and then glue them into 'frame' to make hot pads. A bonus is that you can usually get embroidery hoops at second hand stores for 50 cents or less AND you can paint them cheaply for variation. Good luck. Dianne

Best Answer

You can find unfinished trays in various sizes at the craft store. They go on sale regularly, so watch the ads. You can decorate or paint the tray in whatever finish you want, then glue the corks down in the center.

What do you put on the corks so when you put a hot dish on there it doesn't melt the corks?

By Joan D

Best Answer

Nothing, the corks are not damaged by the heat from pots, etc. This is why cork trivets are popular.

Do wine corks need to be boiled to remove the smell before using them? I am hoping to make a couple of trivets. Thanks.

By Anna from Honor, MI

Best Answer

I have made a wreath and a Christmas tree from wine corks, and all I did to prepare them was to wash/soak them in hot water and dish detergent, then rinse well, and let air dry for a couple of days. You do have to weight them down to keep them under water to soak them. I used a bowl and a plate as the weight. This did not remove wine stains, but they add character to me.