Making an Adult Bib

Category How To
Elderly man wearing a bib while eating.
People of all sizes need a bib at one time or another to keep their clothes from being soiled. This guide is about making an adult bid.

If an adult needs a bib, here is the easy way to handle the problem. Get a chain with alligator clips on both ends, like the ones a dentist uses. Use this chain to fasten the dinner napkin around the person's neck. You could use cloth dinner napkins or paper. Works great.

Another alternate for a woman is to fold a pretty scarf into a triangle and tie it loosely around her neck with the pointed side over her chest.

Source: Did this for a friend.

By soochatty from Wilmington, DE

Would it be OK to make a bib for a lady in the nursing home with cotton and line the front inside with a hand towel?

By Marie from Hennessey, OK

Answer Was this helpful? 1

When my mother-in law was in a nursing home, I made her some bibs from hand towels, some the long way and some turned side ways, depending on the width of the towel. I made ties from a sweat shirt I cut in 2" wide by 24" long strips and sewed on as the fabric is soft and does not have to be hemmed. I used solid color towels and holiday themed towels. She enjoyed having her Xmas, Halloween and Easter ones on. Lining bibs with towels is also a good idea, but the towels work by themselves. Hope this helps.

You could buy some good quality bath towels at the 2nd hand shops and cut them down to create great linings for assorted fabrics that would look "blouse like". Use various pretty cotton prints from your stash, seasonal fabrics etc, add a few flat buttons down the front, to make it look classy (because our elders need a bib -Does NOT mean we treat them as children), and use the towels as the backings. You could have half a dozen made in no time.

Use your fabric scraps to create a quilt like front too. Anything you make is a wonderful gift as well as supportive to protecting her clothing. Great "Green" project.

It makes perfect sense to make a adult bib for some one in a nursing home. I bet it would even be appreciated-no more stained cloths. I take a couple of bibs with me on my cruise, so I do not stain my good dresses. One is made of Battenburg lace and the other is a Bull's eye target. You get a point for every different part of the bulls eye where the food might land!

That would make a great gift! We had a principal in our elementary school that was given an adult bib by one of her secretaries. She was not offended at all and very thankful to protect her expensive dresses and suits when she ate lunch with us. Make the bib with the towel and a pretty cotton print on the other side and maybe a cute/pretty applique.