Making an Apron

Category How To
Woman wearing a handmade apron.
Making an apron for yourself or as a gift is a fun project, whether you use a pattern or use your own unique design. This is a guide about making an apron.

For a useful gift that is easy and inexpensive, try this towel apron. I love giving them and using mine.

Approximate Time: maybe an hour

Instructions:

1. Whether using a hand towel or half bath towel measure across the end of the towel and cut a piece of your matching fabric that width plus 1/2 for hemming by 17 inches. The 1/2 yard of 36 inches or 42 inches of fabric should make two aprons.
  2. Ad

3. Lay your fabrics wrong sides together. Go by the fabric layout photo or blow up the layout for your pattern and cut out the top of your apron from both fabrics.
  4. Cut the pocket out of the neck-opening piece.
  5. You could make the straps a few inches longer by sewing a strip on and tying instead of using Velcro or button and buttonhole closure. If you do this you won't want to make the curve as deep as this one is.
  6. After you get your top part cut out sew the two fabrics together all around except the bottom edge, turn right side out and press.
  7. Slide the towel into the top 1/2 then pin and sew across close to fabric edge.
  8. Then make another seam 1/2 way from the first seam to hold the towel from rolling. (If you used a hand towel this second seam is not needed.)
  9. Hem your pocket all the way around, place it where you want and sew on your hem seam around leaving the top open.
  10. Attach a large button to one side at waist height and one end of your cording at the same point on the opposite side.
  11. Sew on your Velcro or add a buttonhole and button for closure.

The pattern is very adjustable, if you want it longer just add to the bottom of the 17 inch fabric length, but keep the neckline the same.

By Ann/latrtatr from Loup City, NE

Make quick Christmas gifts with scraps from your stash that they will love. I needed quick gifts that would not hurt our budget so I took a look at my fabric stash and I was able to find unusual combinations to create this totally divalicious apron! I drew my own pattern out by looking at other patterns but you can buy a pattern and use that if needed.

First, pull out your stash and lay it out next to each other, take a look and see what unusual combinations pop out. Mix and match and have fun, you never know what you come up with. Here I used zebra fabric, black with pink polkadots, pink satin and tulle.

For added flair, I used hot fix crystals to add diva. This was a little girl's apron and I was able to make the whole thing with very little fabric. The best part is have fun, be frugal and don't be afraid to try new combinations! Take a look at my blog:

By Anna from Arkansas

This is a guide about making a jeans apron. Take those old or wrong sized jeans and, rather than throw them away, make a cute apron.

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

This is a guide about making a tea towel apron. Inexpensive tea towels can be sewn up into a useful apron.

Oven mitts and apron.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a one yard apron. One yard of 45 inch fabric and some thread is all you need to make this quick and easy apron.

Pink and blue aprons.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a canvas bag apron. A canvas shopping bag, some extra fabric, sewing skills, and a bit of design ingenuity combine to make a one of a kind apron.

Finished apron made out of a canvas bag.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a kitchy apron. This ruffled apron is so over the top that it is actually fun to make and wear.

A kitschy half apron.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a child's apron. Making your little cook or helper their own apron is a fun craft project.

Child's Apron

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about making a craft apron. Having tools and supplies handy can be facilitated by wearing an apron.

Photo fo the finished craft apron.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Can someone give me instructions on how to make an apron like my grandmother wore when I was a kid? They say they're vintage aprons now. The bib apron with skirt, shoulder straps from front to back with a shoulder bar across in the back to keep it from falling off shoulders, and it has a sash that ties in the beck. She always had pockets on the front skirt. She was so smart and made her own pattern with newspapers. Please help and God Bless.

Angelheart from Clyde, TX

What you are looking for is called a canning apron. You can find a pattren for it at a site that caters to the Amish and Mennonite comunities. I have one and it was so simple to make. I chose to make the apron without the waist shashing and it stays on with no problem. I just slip it over my head and I'm ready to cook.

As a matter of fact I have one that might help SOME, Simplicity pattern #4987. It doesn't have the cross straps in back but does have the older look to them. I made a skirt type apron (no bib) for VBS at our church last year (I was in charge of snacks, it was Fiesta theme so it had chili peppers, this year Cowboy, so I got some cute fabric with all different kinds of cowboy things). I do know that when I was looking at the Simplicity patterns they had one with the cross pattern in back. Try Walmart for cheap patterns or if you have JoAnns they have great sales on patterns often. Hope that helps some.

Good luck!

Simplicity has many aprons, one is a wrap around, a full apron that covers you up from top to bottom.

http://www.flic  geapronpatterns/

http://www.flic  onpatterns/pool/

not sure what all is on the 2nd link but i know there's a lot & some are free but others aren't pictured...

I hope this helps!

p.s.

I just found this free apron pattern --

http://www.jcar  Screen=APRONINST

http://www.craf  erns/aprons.html another apron pattern site.

sweater apron tutorial : http://flickr.c  157603826273802/ <<< cute !

http://www.goog  lAAAAEBAJ&dq

i like this one !

56 free apron patterns you can make

http://tipnut.c  ns-you-can-make/

I have one that sounds exactly like what you are talking about. It was my grandmother's and I laid it down on newspaper and traced it and cut out the pattern. I sewed it all together and it truly looks just like Grandma's. You could definitely buy a pattern, but check to see if you have any friends who might have what you like or go to an antique store and see if you can find one you think is similar and try the trace/cut/sew method. Mine looks somewhat like this:

http://www.flic  hall/2279587029/

http://www.flic  /in/photostream/

I am looking for directions to make an apron from a pillow sham?

Linda from Piscataway, NJ

If you get a pattern for this let me know forward it to me I would like to know how this is done. Thanks fdittl AT aol.com

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I just love the many how-to projects that I've found on the internet. I do a lot of charity projects for Vietnam Veterans of America so they can raise money for their college scholarship fund. I've been busily sewing tea towel aprons with matching hot mitts. I recently posted a tip on creating these:

The top of the tea towel apron I had made looked just too plain and it needed a little something to dress it up, so I added three heart appliques as shown in the photo. I have 45+ years of sewing experience and have never taken the time to learn how to sew on an applique.

Source: http://www.sewingweb.com/Projects/DishTowels/

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

Three hearts on apron front.

Comment Like this photo? 4

This is the first apron that I've ever made and yet have been sewing for over 40 years. Whenever I needed an apron, I would find one at a thrift shop or garage sale.

I learned how to make it by watching tutorials on You Tube. An old apron was used as a model so I could make a new sewing pattern from it. I pre-washed the cotton fabric so there wouldn't be any shrinkage. This is an easy project for a beginning sewer.

Source:

By MCW from Lewiston, NY

A pattern for a simple baker's apron.

Comment Like this photo? 2