Making an Egg Carton Ice Cream Cone
Kids love to pretend to be a shop keeper. Use these little homemade ice cream cones toys to add some fun to their make believe. This is a guide about making an egg carton ice cream cone
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
With just an egg box and oddments of yarn you can make your child a fun ice cream shop to play with. Choose bright colours which represent the various flavours such as vanilla, banana, strawberry, or mint.
- 1 egg box
- several remnants of coloured yarn
- 1 pair of scissors
- 1 fork
- glue (optional)
- Open up your egg box to reveal all those ice cream cornets.
- These just need to be cut out with your scissors.
- Trim around to make them nice and neat.
- Next take a ball of yarn and your fork to make your first pompom. Cut off a longish length of yarn and pass it through the middle of the fork tines.
- Then take the rest of the yarn and wrap it around the fork about 40 times.
- Tie with the first short length of yarn, making a double knot.
- Slip it all off the fork.
- Cut the loops.
- At this point it won't be tied tight enough so wrap the tie ends round to the opposite side and tie them again just once. Do this once more and pull as tight as you can without snapping the yarn. Finish with one more final knot to secure.
- Fluff up the pompom and trim it into shape.
- Oops - that's a bit small for the cone. But that's OK - it can be trimmed down.
- There that's better.
- If you want the pom pom permanently on the cone use your glue to attach it.
- To make an ice cream shop your child will probably prefer it if the "ice cream scoops" are not glued in place. Make several and put them in a pot. Use the egg box lid and cut holes in it to make a display stand for several ice creams.
In This Guide