StylingHair Tips

Mature Hairdo for Prom Chaperone

I will be chaperoning a prom for my teenage daughter's group and I need help with hairstyles. My hair is just past my shoulders (maybe 2 inches past) and thinning on top. I am in my early 50's, heavyset and wear glasses. Other than a French Twist, which seems kind of drab, I am at a loss of how to wear my hair. It is fine, tends to be fly-away, and does not hold a curl very well or very long, but has a natural gentle wave. I do not use (or like to use or even own) a lot of hair products. I am generally a wash, light condition, comb, and go gal. I usually wear my hair braided, ponytail, or clipped up with a barrette. In general, think mildly hippy. Help! Photos a plus.

By Melody B from Oak Ridge, TN

Oh Melody, please do more than wash, condition and air dry. I think the only time that works is if one is a knock down dead beauty or possibly a 20 year old. Blow drying does wonders for hair and it doesn't take that long to use a curing iron or an attachment on the hair dryer to give a little lift and volume. Also, a few highlights around the face do wonders. I have to have highlights and low lights around my face or I look washed out due to a lot of white (not grey). The color also gives my hair body.

Melody,

How about a quick, fun hairpiece/wiglet? I work at Sally Beauty Supply and we have seen many new customers coming in to buy clip- in hair pieces. They come in a variety of styles and colors sure to match your hair.

Since you have longer hair, may I suggest putting it up on your head and adding a clip in hair piece, it is very easy to do and when you blend in your natural hair, it looks stunning!

Have the clerk at Sally's or a friend help you find a color that closely matches your hair, make sure you are happy with the color match as you can not return hair once it has been purchased due to contamination issues. You may like the look so well it will become a part of your daily routine! You can check out the hair pieces at www.sallybeauty.com. Enjoy the prom!!