Measuring Homemade Laundry Soap

I have the ingredients all ready to mix for my detergent: borax, washing and baking soda and fels naptha soap. I do not add water and prefer the dry detergent. My question is what is the proper amount to use per average load. I have complete forgotten. Thanks to all.

Nelwyn from Bunkie, LA

Measuring Homemade Laundry Soap

I hope that you will love your homemade laundry detergent as I do. In answer to your question: I use 1 Tablespoon for lightly dirty clothes and 2 Tablespoons for dirty clothes. (02/21/2008)

By Nancy

Measuring Homemade Laundry Soap

Measure 1/2 - 3/4 cup of the mix and wash your clothing in warm or cold water.
Hope this helps.

Measuring Homemade Laundry Soap

I use Fels Naptha soap for the soap, and I chop it up, then I put it in an old food processor and try to make it pretty fine. If you make the dry mix you only use 1 or 2 Tablespoons of the mix for a washer load, 2 T for extra dirty clothes. What I do is put enough mix for one load in a plastic jar that has a tight lid.

Add water and let the soap soak. I do this right after I empty one when washing, if you let the soap mix soak for a while. It will be softened up and won't leave soap specks on your clothes. That is what happened to me before I began to soak the dry soap. I also use white vinegar to rinse. I put the white vinegar in a downey ball. I have several plastic jars with soap soaking in them, ready for the next load of wash. (02/21/2008)

By suzin

Homemade Laundry Soap

I was reading everyone's post, and I decided I wanted to try and make my own homemade laundry detergent. Well, after scouring(pardon the pun!) surrounding towns for over a week, I had no luck at finding fels naptha. I did, however, find a colgate laundry bar. What I did was to use a vegetable peeler and peel off small slices of the bar until I had used it all, and added it to approximately one gallon of very hot water. It was just before boiling. The soap dissolved very easily within a minute. I added 1/3 cup of borax and 1/3 cup of washing soda to the same mixture until it was fully dissolved.

I had an old 5 gallon bucket around the house and poured the concoction in it. I added approx. 3 more gallons of water(cold) to the mix and let it sit over night to cool down. It had formed a sort of "jelled" goop that I took a plastic spoon and mixed it back up and it became liquid again. I used 1/4 cup of this stuff on a large load of clothes and they came out perfectly clean--without any type of perfumed odor at all.

I am a single father of 4 teen boys, so I average alot of dirty clothes (average is about 3-4 loads a day!). I may have 5 dollars in all of the stuff I purchased to make this detergent. Today I am trying something new. I am adding a bar of Ivory to the mix to see what it makes the clothes smell like. With all the clothes I have to wash, this is a lot cheaper than buying all the store bought stuff. Also It works really well as a pre-treater for removing red clay from baseball uniforms! Colgate dish detergent (powder type with bleach) for automatic dish washers does an excellent job on brightening whites too (07/24/2008)

By Larry

Measuring Homemade Laundry Soap
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Measuring Elastic
Measuring Elastic for Clothing
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale