Meat Pie Recipes

Category Main Dishes
Meat Pie Recipes
Less expensive cuts of meat or steak can be used to make a delicious meat pie. This page contains meat pie recipes.

This is adapted from my great-grandmothers recipe. She never wrote anything down, so I recreated from memory. They are my family's favorite. They can be made ahead and frozen. Served with mashed potatoes or rice and a salad.

Directions:

In large skillet, boil hamburger and sausage in about 2 cups water on medium high. When it starts to boil, turn heat down to medium and cook for about 30 minutes.

Chop celery, green pepper, onion, and mushroom and place in microwave safe dish. Cook on high about 10 minutes.

Roll out pie crust. Use any round dish or container to make desired size. I used a turnover tool, it is 5 inches in diameter. I used to make my crust but after fracturing my wrist a few years ago had to go the easy route, and it saves time.

When meat has just about boiled away all the water, add the vegetables, stir in olive oil, then slowly add the flour a little at a time. turn off the heat. If it seems too thick add just a little bit of water. Not much though. Let cool, have a glass of tea or a beer and relax a bit.

You will want to spray a cookie sheet with pam or grease lightly. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Take your pie crust rounds in your hand and spoon just enough to fill half not to close to the edge. Fold over and pinch with fingers. Repeat until all of dough is used. Brush with beaten egg yolks, this gives it a beautiful golden sheen when baked. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Allow to cool slightly, insides are hot. We like to dip them in au jus or mushroom gravy with mashed potatoes.

By Peggy from Cortland

• 1 cup sliced onions
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1 lb. round steak, cut into small pieces
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 1/8 tsp. ginger
  • 1/8 tsp. allspice
  • 2 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 2 cup raw potatoes
Biscuit Crust:
  • 1 heaping cup biscuit mix (like Bisquick)
  • 1/3 cup water

Directions:

Slowly cook onion slices in shortening until transparent. Remove from pan; set aside. Dredge steak pieces in flour and spice mixture. Brown in hot shortening. Add boiling water and diced potatoes. Lower heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked.

Place steak and potato mixture into well greased 8 inch casserole dish. Layer onion slices on top. Fit biscuit crust on top and seal edges. Cut slits in top to let steam escape. Bake 425 F. for 20-25 minutes.

For biscuit crust: Mix ingredients in small bowl with a fork; stir well. Put dough on well floured waxed paper. Pat with floured hands into circle to fit casserole.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Great old recipe! Makes a very hearty meal.

• 1 beef kidney
  • 2 lbs. round steak, cubed
  • 2 Tbsp. shortening
  • 2 cups chopped onions
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 cups water
  • 4 cups diced raw potatoes

Crust for 2 crust pie:

• 2 cups sifted flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 4-5 Tbsp. cold water
  • 3/4 cup shortening

Directions:

Cover beef kidney with slightly salted water, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Drain; cut out tubes and white membrane with scissors. Dice meat.

Brown kidney and steak in hot shortening. Add onions, seasoning, and 1 1/2 cups water. Simmer until meat is almost tender, about 1 hour.

Add potatoes and continue simmering until potatoes are tender, about 1/2 hour.

Blend together flour and remaining water; stir into meat mixture. Continue cooking and stirring until mixture thickens.

Filling is now ready for pastry. Pour filling and cover with top layer of pastry, flute edges and cut several steam vents in center. Beat 1 egg and brush over top of pastry.

Bake in hot oven 425 degrees F until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.

For pie crust:

Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or knives until mixture is the consistency of coarse corn meal or tiny peas. Sprinkle on cold water, tossing mixture lightly and stirring with fork. Add water each time to the driest part of the mixture. The dough should be just pressed gently with a fork. It should not be sticky.

Divide dough into two balls and roll. If not ready to make pie, wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate 30 minutes or until ready to fill and bake.

Servings: 8
Prep Time: 40-60 Minutes
Cooking Time: 2 Hours

By Robin from Washington, IA

First brown 1-2 lbs. of meat in a tsp of oil. I use venison but you can use beef, sausage, etc. While browning it, I add a chopped onion, and a few cloves of garlic chopped.

After everything is completely browned add what ever veggies you have left over. I like broccoli, carrots, corn and green beans but you can what ever you like.

Add about a cup of water or broth if you have it to the meat veggie mixture. Then add sour cream, shredded cheese, and a bit of flour to make it thick.

While the meat is browning you can make your biscuit mix. I have used bread dough as well. Either works great. Roll out until it is about 1/4 inch thick. I usually cook mine in a cake pan so I want it double the size of the pan because you will be folding it on itself.

Grease the bottom of the pan and place 1/2 of the dough rolled out onto the pan leaving the remaining attached but laying on the outside of pan. Put cooked meat mixture into the center of the dough and fold over the remaining dough. be sure to pinch around the edges as you don't want your insides to end up on your outside. Then cut a few slits in the top just to let out the steam. Cook in 350 degree F oven until browned.

My girls love this and the neat thing is you can add spinach, etc. and the kids will still love it. I have also used cream cheese in place of the sour cream. Very tasty and easy.

By Melissa from Pine City, NY

Does anyone have any really good meat pie recipes?

Mary Ann

This is the one we like best. Hope you can enjoy it

as well.

Tortiere

Pastry for a double 9 inch pie shell

1/2 lb. lean pork

1/2 lb. beef (lean)

1/2 cup water

1 large onion (finely chopped)

1 clove garlic (finely chopped)

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. thyme

1/2 tsp. sage

1/3 tsp. dry mustard

1/4 tsp. mace

1/8 tsp. ground cloves

pepper to taste

2 medium potatoes

1 egg (beaten)

Combine meat, water, onion, garlic and seasonings in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover; reduce heat to low and cook for 25 minutes. Stir often while cooking. Peel potatoes and cook in salted water about 20 minutes or until done. Drain and mash with a fork. (This should measure about 1 cup potatoes). When meat is finished cooking, there will be a little liquid in the bottom of the pan. Don't drain it. Remove from heat. Add mashed potatoes and stir. Turn meat and potato mixture into pie shell. Cover with top crust. Whisk egg with 1 tsp. water and brush over top of the crust. Slash crust in several places to allow steam to escape. Bake in 425 F. oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 F. and cook until pastry is golden about 25 more minutes.

Merry Christmas,

Julia in Orlando, Florida

Thank you so much

PAGE 1 OF 2

Before you begin read over all the recipe first, and have, cooking spray, and/ or baking sheet paper, also allow two days to do the following, one night to cut and cook meat and put it in the fridge overnight. The next day to actually make the meat pies. A favorite at Christmas with all! This is the - 2nd. Day stuff! For the biscuit dough; make this up as you go. Do not double the recipe!

6 cups of flour,- [little heaps... not level] - (robin hood is the best to choose)

6 teaspoons of baking powder - [small little heaps not level of baking powder]

3 teaspoons of salt [level the salt!]

l/21b. of shortening [has to be a shortening NOT lard] [I use aprox. 3 lbs of

Crisco shortening in total.]

ADD Aprox. (3) to 3 3/4cups of meat juice [try 3 cups 1st it's easier to add the [3/4]

more juice if needed]

MIX/ STIR VERY, VERY GENTLE! [This is most important or you will ruin the biscuit dough!] Just turn [gently] till it just sticks aprox 6 turns or less, then dump out on a floured surface. [Kneed dough no more then (10 to 12 turns) in all total TURNS] Dough should be soft like (for example warm play dough) and elasticity when rolling out the dough with the rolling pin.

MAKE PIES and when done brush with the meat juice: in a preheated oven set at 350* for APROX. 35 to 45 min. depending on your oven! [Set the timer on the stove for HALF the baking time] and BRUSH pies again when they are HALF cooked, also TURN the pan around for even cooking/browning. Remember to RESET the timer for the rest of the time needed to finish baking the pies!

When done take off the pan and place on a rack [Most important to do this, because if you don't the pies will sweat; and bottom pie crust will become wet, and the pie is ruined!] I used the rack out of the bottom of the oven; get it out before you preheat the oven.

Now I use 6 small wire ones [plus the oven rack] I bought small ones at the dollar store, you can buy them in any baking department in a store and they are inexpensive; get 6 to start with. If you don't have any then make sure you keep turning those pies until they are cool. This is very time consuming, so get the racks. I make about 25 meat pies depending on the size of them; also the med size pies and small pies are easier to handle to get onto the cookie sheet without cracking

PAGE 2 of 2

THIS IS THE. 1 ST DAY STUFF. Might want man for this job HA! HA!

You need to buy the meat (the more meat the more pies to make.) this is based on making aprox. 20 To 25 pies depending on the size of the pie you make.

MEAT!

*{NOTE, you can add in all wild meats or just some if you like to as well in this recipe if you care to - Fowl and or animal. I use no wild meats when making mine} *

10 LBS of beef

10 LBS of pork

2 chicken breasts and /or legs

4 large onions

Salt and black pepper.

Now take the meat out of the freezer in the morning and let the meat half defrost when this is done-- call MAN!! He / you will need a sharp, knife to cut the meat into big bite size pieces [remember cooked meat shrinks, so a cube it bigger than normal] place all in a bowl without the chicken.

Now get out a big pot [I mean big] you are going to layer the mixed up raw meat this way.

A layer of meat and a layer of onions and a small bit of black pepper and add some salt. [REPEAT this] layering process until about 6 inches from the top; now place the raw chicken on the top. Now add enough cool water just enough to cover the meat [BEEF/PORK] and bring to a boil, then SIMMER with a cover on for aprox. 1 hour. Also don't forget to taste the meat while simmering to make sure that you have that [OH IT'S WAY TO SALTY TASTE!] because that is what you want it to taste like; but be careful not to add to much pepper! The chicken will cook first; take it out and pick the meat off the bones and toss it back into the big pot.

When the rest of the meat is done You can take the hot pot outside in a snow bank and pack it till it is cool enough for your hands to get into it. Or put it in the sink in cold water to cool down when it is cool enough, reach in and squeeze the juice out with your CLEAN hands. Put all the cooked meat in a big bowl, [being careful not to squeeze to much, you do need some moisture in the meat] you now cover the meat with a towel or tea cloth and place it in the fridge for the night also put a cover on the pot and place it in the fridge for the night also, In the morning take out the pot from the fridge and [REMOVE THE FAT THAT HAS FORMED OVERNIGHT AND THROW IT OUT!] you need to [SAVE THE JUICE] to make the biscuit dough.

NOTE: after the meat pies are all made and you have juice left over and dough/or make more dough you can make bannock/biscuits/

THE END of Betty's meat pie recipe and page 2 of 2.

This recipe came from my husbands father, My Father In-Law gave it to me after my Mother In-Law passed away. It's an old French Arcadian recipe she used; My parent In-Laws only included the [Wild rabbits when making their meat pies]. I do not. Serve Meat Pie cold and have salt shaker on hand, and a cup of hot tea, Merry Christmas, Hope you enjoy. Yes it is a lot of work but well worth it.