Memory Tips and Tricks

Category Memory Tricks
Red Ribbon Tied Around Index Finger
It's a busy world we live in and it's no surprise it's easy to forget things like pin numbers, phone numbers, email addresses and even the names of people you just met. A little daily focus can go along way to improving your memory. This is a guide about memory tips and tricks.

My mother uses a unique way to remember things she has to do or appointments she has to keep. She writes them on a sticky note, and places them at an angle on a cupboard, mirror, fridge, etc. Having them at an angle makes you notice them as they are not level. To most people this is annoying and therefore you notice them every time you go by! No more forgotten to do lists!

That is a great idea! I use a little program that puts stickies on my computer desktop. It remains even after rebooting. Since I am at my computer often during the day, it works for me.

GREAT TIP, seems the older we get the more sticky notes we use

Great idea! My mother in-law used a calendar in her kitchen. She put everyone's birthday,anniversaries, all appointments, when she bought something big like a new refrigerator, on the date this way everyone had the information if they needed it. It also helped everyone keep up with birthdays and anniversaries. On the last day of the year she took it down and transferred all information to her new calendar. Everyone knew they just had to go to calendar and look if they needed any of this information.

I have another use for sticky notes. When the weather gets real bad such as a lot of lightning etc or power outages I usually unplug my computer from the wall just so it won't get hit by lightning etc. I also do this if I am going away for a trip for a few days or weeks etc. Then I take a sticky note saying "pc unplugged at wall" & attach it to my monitor. That way when I get ready to turn the computer back on I won't panic because it doesn't come on again.

Yeah, they seem to blend in after a while. Crooked would drive me nuts, and get noticed!

It's so true that something crooked is annoying, and therefore gets noticed, so this is a very cool tip! So simple, so why didn't I think of that? Lol!

Here is a memory trick I learned sometime back. Soon after my husband passed away, my mind was in such a turmoil I couldn't remember anything. So, I would say things out loud even if I'm by myself. The biggest culprit for me was making sure to unplug things such as my curling iron.

When I was done with it, I would say out loud "unplug" as I was unplugging it. This really helped me. Even though it's been 3 years since he died, I still say things out loud.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

Kathy,

I'm sorry for your loss. Your tip is excellent and it will help me.

first of all my condolences... you sound like a strong survivor and i congratuflate you ! :) i started doing this a couple years ago.. no crisis in my life, just couldnt remember if I had done something and got sick of running back to the house to check LOL... great tip !!!

If I need to remind myself of something, I hang a paperclip chain from my key ring. I use 3 or 4 paperclips to make it longer than the keys. Then when I grab my keys and see the paperclips, I'm reminded to be reminded. Kinda of a twist on the old tying a string around your finger trick.

By escnmck from Memphis, TN

Yeah but can you remember what you're supposed to remember? :-) That would be my problem!

Thanks for this memory jogger tip. It reminded me to go out to the pantry and get the cat supplies for my cat rescue friend I've been meaning to give her for 2 weeks!

I agree with Debbie. I would even wonder why I did that!

I keep a small notebook with me at all times. I use it to make to do lists, grocery lists, and as a prayer journal. Whenever I need to write something on the list, I have it with me. It is great when I have spare time. For example, waiting in the doctor's office or waiting to pick up the kids from soccer practice. It is time efficient and practical.

By Leslie from Brandon, MS

I started doing that last year. It is so handy! I jot down ideas or last minute groceries. I even use it when I'm on a website to make note of an idea or book title. Then I can go back over it and it's all there.

I like to do that too - I often have time to write out recipes and handyhints from magazines in the Doctor's office and also the hairdresser

I do the same, but a little differently. My phone is a smartphone, it has PDA functionality so I can write notes on it. Very handy to have a qwerty keyboard, and much quicker and neater, as well as having the phone options.

I, too, love having a place to write while I wait. When I downsized my purse, I bought a small decorative two-year calendar for a dollar to carry with me. It has one month to a double page...meaning it is thin and easy to carry. I use the current year as my regular transportable calendar. Then I begin at the back and make notes on creative projects, recipes, websites I see in magazines at doctor's offices, etc.

I make greeting cards as a hobby and sometimes I find a saying I want to use. I can write it all there and I know it's in that one place. I have been using the calendars for one year and writing on the second year. Of course, the second year is nice to keep track of those annual doctor visits until I get the new calendar. It has made my life so easy.

It seems like I cannot seem to remember anything. To help with the problem, I will leave a voice mail on my cell phone as a reminder. I will do either from the house phone or my cell phone.

By Jetruth from Waterloo, IA

Sounds do-able. I usually rely on MS Outlook Calendar because I spend significant time in front of my computer. However, one has to launch Outlook for the Calendar reminders to pop up.

Thanks for the great tip! It is another way to remind myself of things. I email myself but this is really good as I am not always online.

Have you ever had a thought or idea, and had it just "go" right out of your mind when the phone rang or there was some kind of interruption? My daughter says "Mom, I swear I am going to buy you some ginko!" Well, since I carry my cell phone in my pocket most of the time, I now record what I want to remember. It has worked out great!

By Leann from Columbus, OH

Great idea! I use it now and then myself! Same with home phone answering machine!

I don't keep my phone in my pocket so I was looking for something to go on my key chain or something like that.

Anything out there like that

You can even use an old cell phone just for keeping notes. With the built in calendar, notepad and voice memo features some phones have standard, "jotting" down notes and keeping lists is easy and convenient. Some phones come with a tip calculator and most come with a standard calculator (to figure out those shopping discounts of course). You can even call 911 if you have too, even without a service plan. Plus, you can "send" yourself text messages and keep the "failed" texts as notes too! One way to "recycle" an old phone. I even use the address book as a "database" of sorts, instead of phone numbers, I fill it with my daily diabetic blood sugar test results.

Great tip! My phone has a "note pad" and before I go to the store I make my list on it. As I buy things on it, I delete them off of it. Easier than doing it by hand. :-)

When I have to remember to do something later, but I can't write myself a note, I move an object out of its normal spot on my desk or kitchen counter, or in my car if I'm on the road.

When I see the object out of place, it jogs my memory. For example, if I'm driving to the mall and suddenly remember I have to pick up a birthday card for someone, I'll take my purse off the passenger seat and put it on the floor in the back seat. When I arrive at the mall and reach for my purse in its usual spot, I'm reminded of the reason I moved it.

Source: My own need for memory joggers.

By Terri from Nova Scotia, Canada

Here are a few of the tricks I do to help myself remember things: Have you ever gotten half way to work and realized you forgot something in the kitchen you meant to take to the potluck?

How many of us have purchased Christmas decorations or a gift for someone's birthday or anniversary only for the time to come and forgetting about the item or where we put it? I use my faithful calendar.

I have a steel front door so when I want to remember something, I'll stick the note on the door with a magnet. This way when I leave, I can't help but see the note and remember! I just leave several magnets attached to the door in case I need them.

Now in December, I put down the Christmas decorations that I need or wish for, after I have seen exactly what I need. It makes it super easy to pick up just what I need.

In order to remember a one-time thing, I take my wedding ring or watch off and put it on the opposite hand. It is so irritating to have it on the wrong hand that I keep reminding myself why it is there and the task I need to do.

If I am taking food to work or home from a party I put my car keys in the fridge with it. I never get far without it! By Linda

Hang small dry erase makers beside all the mirrors in your house and when you think of something that needs to be done or something that you need to buy, grab a pen and write it on a mirror!

My hubby keeps an empty soda bottle top in his truck. When I ask him to bring something home or he has an errand that day, he goes and sticks the cap up on the dash.

When for the first time you look up the phone number of a person and/or a business take a pen and circle the name of the person and/or business. Then the next time you have to look the number up again, it will stick out like a sore thumb.

This is a guide about creating reminders for yourself. We all forget to do something such as run an errand or un-mute our phone.

Don't forget reminder on a sticky note.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If you have a problem remembering something, tie a ribbon around your wrist and write down what you are trying to remember. Then when you look on your wrist, there it is plain as day!