Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Memory Tips and Tricks

It's a busy world we live in and it's no surprise it's easy to forget things like pin numbers, phone numbers, email addresses and even the names of people you just met. A little daily focus can go along way to improving your memory. This is a guide about memory tips and tricks.

November 26, 2008 Flag

My mother uses a unique way to remember things she has to do or appointments she has to keep. She writes them on a sticky note, and places them at an angle on a cupboard, mirror, fridge, etc. Having them at an angle makes you notice them as they are not level. To most people this is annoying and therefore you notice them every time you go by! No more forgotten to do lists!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yeah, they seem to blend in after a while. Crooked would drive me nuts, and get noticed!

December 27, 2011 Flag

Here is a memory trick I learned sometime back. Soon after my husband passed away, my mind was in such a turmoil I couldn't remember anything. So, I would say things out loud even if I'm by myself. The biggest culprit for me was making sure to unplug things such as my curling iron.

When I was done with it, I would say out loud "unplug" as I was unplugging it. This really helped me. Even though it's been 3 years since he died, I still say things out loud.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Kathy,

I'm sorry for your loss. Your tip is excellent and it will help me.

April 7, 2011 Flag

If I need to remind myself of something, I hang a paperclip chain from my key ring. I use 3 or 4 paperclips to make it longer than the keys. Then when I grab my keys and see the paperclips, I'm reminded to be reminded. Kinda of a twist on the old tying a string around your finger trick.

By escnmck from Memphis, TN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yeah but can you remember what you're supposed to remember? :-) That would be my problem!

January 8, 2015 Flag

How many of us have purchased Christmas decorations or a gift for someone's birthday or anniversary only for the time to come and forgetting about the item or where we put it? I use my faithful calendar.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 11, 2008 Flag

I keep a small notebook with me at all times. I use it to make to do lists, grocery lists, and as a prayer journal. Whenever I need to write something on the list, I have it with me.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 27, 2016 Flag

Don't forget reminder on a sticky note.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about creating reminders for yourself. We all forget to do something such as run an errand or un-mute our phone.

April 18, 2011 Flag

It seems like I cannot seem to remember anything. To help with the problem, I will leave a voice mail on my cell phone as a reminder. I will do either from the house phone or my cell phone.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 13, 2011 Flag

Here are a few of the tricks I do to help myself remember things: Have you ever gotten half way to work and realized you forgot something in the kitchen you meant to take to the potluck?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 22, 2010 Flag

When I have to remember to do something later, but I can't write myself a note, I move an object out of its normal spot on my desk or kitchen counter, or in my car if I'm on the road.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 24, 2007 Flag

Have you ever had a thought or idea, and had it just "go" right out of your mind when the phone rang or there was some kind of interruption? My daughter says "Mom, I swear I am going to buy you some ginko!"

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 21, 2008 Flag

I have a steel front door so when I want to remember something, I'll stick the note on the door with a magnet. This way when I leave, I can't help but see the note and remember! I just leave several magnets attached to the door in case I need them.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 29, 2006 Flag

Now in December, I put down the Christmas decorations that I need or wish for, after I have seen exactly what I need. It makes it super easy to pick up just what I need.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 4, 2004 Flag

In order to remember a one-time thing, I take my wedding ring or watch off and put it on the opposite hand. It is so irritating to have it on the wrong hand that I keep reminding myself why it is there and the task I need to do.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 4, 2004 Flag

If I am taking food to work or home from a party I put my car keys in the fridge with it. I never get far without it! By Linda

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 28, 2004 Flag

Hang small dry erase makers beside all the mirrors in your house and when you think of something that needs to be done or something that you need to buy, grab a pen and write it on a mirror!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 4, 2004 Flag

My hubby keeps an empty soda bottle top in his truck. When I ask him to bring something home or he has an errand that day, he goes and sticks the cap up on the dash.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 9, 2004 Flag

When for the first time you look up the phone number of a person and/or a business take a pen and circle the name of the person and/or business. Then the next time you have to look the number up again, it will stick out like a sore thumb.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 12, 2005 Flag

If you have a problem remembering something, tie a ribbon around your wrist and write down what you are trying to remember. Then when you look on your wrist, there it is plain as day!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Organizing Memory TricksNovember 11, 2011
Don't forget reminder on a sticky note.
Creating Reminders for Yourself
black shopping bag filled with fruit, veggies, and loaves of bread
Remembering Reusable Shopping Bags
Note Written on Mirror
Using Your Bathroom Mirror for Reminders
Simple square block quilt made from vintage fabric.
Making a Memory Quilt
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 19, 2017 at 11:07:32 PM on 10.0.2.185 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.