Microwave Says 'Child' on Display

Many brands of microwave ovens have a built in child lock that is activated if the start button is pushed several times. This is a guide about microwave says "child" on display.

March 4, 2010 Flag

I suppose this is only a funny tip on dealing with your microwave without losing your mind. A couple nights ago, I innocently pushed the 'Start' button as usual, when the screen suddenly said "Child." After staring at it dumbfounded for about a minute, hubby was called in to see if I might be mis-reading it. Nope, still said "Child."

I took a photo, reset it again, and now it's back to only numbers. And no, before you ask, it does NOT say 'Potato' when I try to cook one. That's just disturbing! It's never shown letters of the alphabet before.

Haven't a clue what it meant by that message, but I had the strangest feeling my over-used microwave just insulted me somehow. However, if it starts calling me 'Mom" I'm going back to using the stove.

By Mary from Mountain Pine, AR

Editor's Note: We did a little research and it sounds like the child lock was accidentally activated. This is usually done by hitting the start button 3 or 4 times, depending on your model.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

I had never heard of this before, so out of curiosty, I pushed the start button on my micro-wave three times. Sure enough the display said "Child". I immediatly realized I didn't know how to "undo" what I had just done. After trying a couple of things, I pushed the stop/reset button three times and the display reverted back to the clock setting. I've never read my manual and didn't even know this "child safety" feature was on my micro-wave. I guess you're never to old to learn.

OMG, Its a poltergeist & it wants your children. Aah! I would suggest having a garage sale :)

I bet everyone is trying this on their micros now;-))

rotfl! Thanks for the chuckle to end my week!

Aldancer, I do promise it's not a joke :-) Ask family and friends to test their microwaves. Any microwave I've ever had has the feature so maybe you just have a really, really old one? My current one is small to fit in my apartment kitchen and doesn't displsy 'child' but it does display 'chil' ;-)

LMAO! This is awesome!

This is the weirdest thing I have heard in a long time! I got a big kick out of it, thanks for posting you story!

I guess I'm not the only one that gets my microwave into strange settings... Last month the darn thing somehow got put into the "Defrost" setting & we STILL haven't figured how to reset it! It still cooks, but takes twice as long! ...These things sometimes have a mind of their own.

Speaking of "poltergeist's" They're here.

Well I guess a lot of us learned something with your experience. I never knew there were child locks on a microwave.

Yes, it is a child safety lock. With ours, we have to push "start" steadily for 5 seconds. With two small autistic kids, I know most safety features, such as locks and overrides on our electronics.

Most newer things have locks or emergency shut off/ shut down features. Irons have a feature that will turn itself off if it falls or is lying flat for more than a few seconds. Stoves moved their dials to the top. Washers and dryers have lock features, too.

Even trunks (boots) of automobiles have a latch that will glow in the dark and instantly release if pulled if a child (GOD FORBID) ever crawls inside. Every summer there is at least one death of a child like that.

Check either your appliance handbooks or wander about in your newer appliance stores, you will see these features.

That would scare the heck out of me! Makes sense after someone explained there was a child lock on it.

Maybe someone can explain when my printer for my computer is shut off, on occasion it acts like it is in position to print, making the noise it does when you are going to print and then stops. first time it did this, it scared me. It has happened several times since.

person operating microwave
Repairing a Microwave
Consumer Advice General AdviceFebruary 1, 2017
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
An open microwave oven, with a mug inside.
Adjusting Microwave Door Hinges
Quiche Being Served on White Plate
Microwave Quiche Recipes
Photo of a microwave oven.
Repairing a Microwave That Won't Heat
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 10:07:55 PM on 10.0.1.210 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.