Microwave Start Button Does Not Work

I had a Sharp over the range microwave put in in 2005. Everything works, but the start button. The lights and fans work fine. I called for a tech; they charge $75 for just coming to the door. I am better off buying a new one, unless someone can tell me how to fix it. Any suggestions anyone? Thank you.

By Jill from Lake View, NY

Answers:

Microwave Start Button Does Not Work

I once had a microwave like that and I found the door latch spring broken. The door latch, in most cases must close a switch and this tells the microwave that the door is closed.

As you know they will not work with the door open. A good handy man should be able to check and see if the latch springs are good. (01/20/2010)

By olddog1213

Microwave Start Button Does Not Work

Definitely don't bother paying for a repair person and definitely 'do not' pay extra for a warranty on a new microwave because that's just a way for the company to collect extra money for a service that might not be available/in business after four years anyway. (01/21/2010)

By Deeli